1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Storing My Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Papagena, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Papagena

Papagena New Member

Now that I've finally received my salsa red Prius, and all of you have helped me get the SS-SE to work, I'm going to have to leave it in the garage for about 7 weeks while I'm away.

The manual says it needs to be driven or at least turned on (or something like that) for 30 minutes a week.

What do you think? What will keep it in the best shape? Since it won't sit there and putt, but go into stealth... what's the solution for this?

I'm not sure that I can let anyone else drive it! :mrgreen:

Thanks for ideas! Papagena

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

get your self a floating battery charger and hook it up to the battery terminal under the hood or on the battery in the trunk. You will have to disable the smart key by swithching the unit off under the steering column.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

OORRRRrrrrrr you could just lend it to me and I'd keep it charged;)

4. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is no problem leaving the car for that period of time so long as the battery is in at least a moderate state of charge (say, at least half full).

The only possible (yet unlikely) problem would be the 12v auxilliary battery going dead, and I've never heard of that happening unless someone left a door ajar, interior lights on, etc.

Just make sure to disable the SE/SS system before you go by pressing the button under the steering wheel and make sure the interior lights and such aren't on.

I think the recommendation is to run it for 30 minutes every few months or so for extended long-term storage.

Dave

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave,
    There are multiple reports of the '04 12v battery dying in as little as 10 days. You're correct in that the NiMH is not at all, a concern.

If there is someone who can put the car in "Ready Mode", even if they don't drive it, for about 30 min. every week or so that will allow the NiMH to charge the 12v battery. There is no need, even, for the ICE to run, though it certainly will unless you engage EV mode each start up.

A trickle charge is also a good alternative and might be a good excuse to buy a new 'toy'. If the car is parked outside or where it will recieve a lot of direct sunlight you can buy a small solar panel charger that will keep it charged up while you're away.

As others mentioned, be sure you disable the SS/E as it puts a small but constant battery drain on. Also, it might be good to be sure the headlights are turned totally off since it's rumored that even though the headlights themselves turn off that by leaving the switch in the "on" position there's a small drain.

6. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One caveat on the solar charger. the socket that you connect it to will need to be one that has power supplied even with the key off. Otherwise, it will not work.

7. paulisme

paulisme New Member

My brother used to run a car lot, and he had a 2003 Prius' aux battery go dead after it sat on the lot for a few days. He started taking the battery out between test drives so it wouldn't go dead. Apparently it's not too hard to take out and put back in. He did it through the trunk.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wolfman is correct, if you choose to use the cigarette lighter/power point outlets. I used the included clips for my charger and attached it directly to the 12v, ran the wires through a convenient access point and now I just plug the charger into the wire when needed.

Paul's suggestion will work, but at the cost of resetting every one of your presets to the new vehicle default requiring reprogramming of your bluetooth, the window up/down mechanism, any presets on your NAV, and who knows what else. I think spending $25 on a solar charger or a bit more on a trickle charger, or just having someone start it up every 1-2 weeks would be a lot better way to go, personally.

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

FWIW My dealer said to just remove the DOME FUSE located under the hood in the fuse box. Fourth fuse from the bottom on the left.

10. anatole

anatole New Member

I have wondered about this myself. I am new to this website, so I don't know much about wht went before, but I understand that the Prius in Japan comes with an option of plugging it into the socket to recharge the big battery after using (e.g.) the EV mode. I note that UK Prius has the EV mode, but the US does not. It would be nice to be able to drive on EV and then refill from the socket. Any comments?

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You sorta ran a bunch of stuff together in one post there:

1)AFAIK NO Prius has the option, as of yet, to plug in to recharge. In fact, it's a complicated process for the service dept. to even get a minimal charge on the HV batt to even allow for start up.

2)Yes, UK, Japan, ?and Aussie? have EV standard. North America does not. Some of us have added EV buttons in N. America. Look in the Knowledge Base section of this web site for information on how to do that.

3)There are people actively looking into a means of recharging from the grid. At this time the battery is small enough that going over a mile is difficult in EV mode, and, thus, little benefit is derived from being able to plug in. There are also complex issues as to whether it is much (if any) more economical or environmentally friendly to use the grid than to just use gasoline.

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    To add to Evan's post, the power outlets are controlled directly or indirectly by the ACC relay. The first port is powered on by the ACC relay. Providing power to the first power (dash) port also closes a relay to the second power port (the console one I believe).

This is based on what I saw in the EWD's when I spent my spare time waiting for my car and read them day and night :-P

13. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wonder how much power it actually takes to engage the 12v system enough for the switchover to high-voltage. All it needs to do is have enough power to charge the braking system and run the diagnostics before the HV system switches in.

Would be interesting to see if you could take 8 x disposable alkaline batteries in series (AA size? D size?) and use it to start the system.

I'm betting you probably could...

Any experimenters? :)

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got one of those rechargable combo air compressor, jumper, work light, power supply gadgets that I paid $50 for. Should do the same thing with less effort. But I don't see why a bunch of batteries hooked up couldn't work. I just think it would be a little tenuous--better start the first try.