1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Story: Development of Gen III Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Aug 13, 2010.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The third-generation Prius achieves excellent fuel efficiency and comfortable driving characteristic of a hybrid vehicle

The third-generation Prius was introduced in May 2009. Akihiko Otsuka, chief engineer of the third-generation Prius project, says the two key points in developing the new Prius were an affordable price and improved fuel efficiency.

As measures related to energy and global warming issues, it is necessary to expand the use of highly fuel-efficient vehicles such as the Prius. For that reason, setting the price of the Prius—Toyota’s entry model hybrid vehicle—at an affordable level was seen as one of Toyota’s missions. “Although we tackled development with a fuel efficiency target of 38km/L, it was a tough level to achieve because engine efficiency had already been substantially improved,†explained Otsuka regarding the difficulties met in improving fuel efficiency. “In order to lower the vehicle’s overall energy loss, we aimed at increasing system efficiency to 60% and vehicle efficiency to 40%.â€

In order to combine an affordable price with improved fuel efficiency, particular efforts were made to improve engine efficiency and reduce the size and weight of parts. To improve engine efficiency, the inline four-cylinder engine was switched from the previous 1.5-liter model to a newly developed 1.8-liter one. The increased displacement gave the engine more output torque, making it possible to reduce engine rpm during high-speed driving, thereby improving engine efficiency in all speed ranges and improving fuel efficiency. The new Prius also has a 0.25 coefficient of drag, contributing to a 0.3km/L improvement in fuel efficiency.

To reduce the size of parts and make them lighter, all 30,000 parts used in the Prius were checked carefully over and over. Using fewer raw materials in hybrid systems resulted in about a 20% size reduction, at the same time lowering costs by 30% and improving fuel efficiency. To reduce costs further, the new Prius shares 90% of the parts in the platform and 50% of the parts in the suspension with existing models. Toyota’s basic stance is to prioritize the setting of prices that customers can afford and the reduction of costs to realize those prices. These combined efforts helped to achieve a fuel efficiency of 38km/L for the third-generation Prius.

Besides environmental performance, safety features were also bolstered, such as through the use of Steering-assisted Vehicle Stability Control (S-VSC), Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) side impact airbags, and SRS curtain-shield airbags. Retail prices in Japan start at 2.05 million yen, and sales will cover 80 countries, double the number for the second-generation Prius. Toyota also introduced the Prius Cup, an initiative for drawing cars and customers closer together in a move to nurture the automobile culture (see pp 8-9 for more details). The new Prius seeks to achieve a balance between advanced environmental features, driving performance that is unique to a hybrid vehicle, and the excitement of ‘driving the future’ as an electric car when running on batteries. In the first month after launch, sales in Japan topped 180,000 units. The third-generation Prius is not simply an environmentally-considerate vehicle: it is a next-generation vehicle that will satisfy even car enthusiasts.

Source PDF

Download and read the PDF. It has pictures as well as the story of Gen I and Gen II.

5 people like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This seems a little high for one month. Perhaps some of Japanese friends might bring the monthly Prius sales in Japan?

I've been working under the assumption that Prius manufacturing is just a little over 50,000 units per month. This would be over three months of inventory. Not impossible but it also changes my understanding about monthly Prius production rate.

Now if they meant "In the first quarter after launch, . . ." it would be closer to 60,000 Prius per month plus whatever leaked out to the other markets. This would be more inline with my understanding of Prius production capacity.

You've correctly quoted the article and I'm just wondering if perhaps the article might have a mistake.

Bob Wilson

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was 180,000 back orders, thus it was 6 months wait period.

Ken@Japan

4. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It seems to me that Toyota at least owes impetus to the Partner ship for the next generation vehicle...Your know the multi billion dollar taxpayer funded R&D project/ partnership between the US govt and the big 3 us makers? in the early 90's we were supposed to get an 80mpg vehicle for our dollars (if I recall correctly) and all I got from Detroit were a bunch more SUV's...meanwhile the Japanese spooked that America might get there first actually did build a high milage hybrid vehicle for the masses...go figure.

Reminds me of how Phillips developed the first flat panel TV only to express no interest in mass marketing it because it would take business from their existing CRT operation leaving the door wide open for the Japanese.

It appears it is easier for companies to embrace change but very hard to actually implement it.