1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stowing the "Hidey Shade"; where to put the jack h

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RobertO, Mar 1, 2004.

1. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Yet another great idea on our cars is the stowage arrangement for the "Hidey Shade", as I call it, when you need a lot of room in the rear cargo hold and need the shade completely out of the way.

It really does snap into the lower compartment very nicely, but I couldn't get the jack handle to re-stow flat; it rides on top of the shade a bit -couldn't completely close the floor lid. So, I just laid it in the lower compartment and closed the lid.

Seems to me there must be a way to stow the handle so it won't rattle around when the shade is stowed.

Anyone run into this, have the answer or a better solution? Or did I not read the Manual right? I have so much respect for the Japanese on details such as this I'm thinking I did it wrong.

Bob

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine goes all the way down. Make sure the frame of the shade does fit all the way down. Perhaps try rotating it 90 degrees one way or the other to allow it to lie flat.

Also, what you're referring to as the jack handle I believe is the support for holding up the cargo cover for extended times. It pops out and up into the cargo cover when folded up to retain it for stowing taller items which require deeper storage. The actual jack handle is located below the "cargo tub" under or near the spare tire.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Rick

3. RobertO

RobertO New Member

OK. Here's the deal. I'll try rotating the shade 90 degrees on axis until it seems to drop in a little deeper. Then I'll lay the strut across is and check for a snug closure.

As to the "jack handle"; what do you expect? I'm half Norweigian!

Probably a good thing if I never get a flat, eh?

Thanks for the tip, Rick.

Bob

4. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

I wasn't even aware that you could store this thing, but just went out and did it. You're correct in that the privacy screen/shade has to be rotated 90 degrees.

Cool! 8)

5. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just giving this topic a bump since I recently discovered this feature by accident (no, I haven't managed to wade through the manual yet ... and though I read almost all the new posts I haven't gone through all the old ones).

I thought this was really cool -- there is a sort of cutout for the "handle" part of the cover/shade so if you turn it right it fits in just perfectly. Hard to stow stuff underneath it then, but still quite possible.

Great to drive a car with such well thought out design details :)