1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Straight Skinny On 2004-2007s HV Water-Pump Recall "Fix"?!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by catgic, Nov 30, 2010.

1. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

2. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  3. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

1 person likes this.
  4. Bernie Ferrone

Bernie Ferrone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just left my local dealer for the "recall." The kit is in fact the pump, gasket and coolant. They changed it out in about 2 hrs total. Sure am glad I didn't have to pay for it. With the number of vehicles affected 240,000+-, I suspect many of the dealers are going to have part supply problems for a while. Good luck.

5. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I had mine done while my extended warranty was still in effect on my 2004 Prius, the pump was squeeling like a B******d when it ran, I'm not surprised about this recall at all, my guess is, they are all going to fail.

6. ajayre

ajayre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone know if this recall applies to the UK as well? Is there a UK site to check my VIN?

Andy

7. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Andy, I'd call Toyota customer service in the UK and ask them. You'll get a quicker response that way. Being the NICE New Yorker I am here is the number: 0844 701 6202

1 person likes this.
  8. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did my inverter pump in the driveway last month with an OEM replacement from a Toyota dealer... does anyone know if the replacement pump I used is the "newly designed" one that Toyota refers to in the dealer letter? Has anyone else submitted their paperwork for a DIY pump replacement job?

9. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    jreed,

Check any of the links mentioned for the text of Toyota's Limited Service Campaign for the inverter coolant pump & you should find the part number of the pump listed (I think the last 2 digits of the OLD one were xxx30 & the NEW one was xxx31) The NEW one also has a "G" prefix [for a countermeasure (updated/improved) part] & has been available since mid-2007 for Toyota's assembly line (that's why the recall/Limited Service Campaign only covers part of the 2007 model year). All the OLD parts should have been removed from stock back in mid-2007 (unless your dealer never turned his in). Check your parts counter receipt or the part box (if you still have either) to see what they sold you. If your car is on the list of s/n's that's covered (& you still have your receipt or the dealer still has their copy), you can get Toyota to reimburse you for the pump, gasket, & coolant (if you also have a receipt for that too) for do-it-yourselfers. If the pump replacement was already done at a dealer, Toyota will reimburse for the labor too.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

10. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Ken! That was exactly the info I was seeking. Much appreciated!
    I checked my invoice and the inverter pump was indeed the new & improved part with "G" prefix, ending in "31"... I've copied the full part number below.
    G9020-47031
    Thanks again! :)

11. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    08s and 09s are safe? did they change the design on these two last years of the Gen II?

12. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    ALL Prii made after the middle of Model Year 2007 have the newer design Inverter coolant pump so all 2008 and 2009 Prii should not suffer early Inverter Coolant Pump failures.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  13. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. about a month ago, my inverter pump failed and was replaced under warranty. guess my prius got the old design.

thanks for the 411

14. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Anything can fail. That is why there is a warranty. You had the newer design.

JeffD

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The inverter coolant pump, the subject of the new service campaign, runs all the time. A pump intermittently squealing like a bastard is most likey the engine coolant thermos transfer pump.

16. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow. what would emulate a chicken clucking? my car makes that noise upon start up then goes away.

17. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm actually at the dealer now. They just did the recall pump, but came out and told me the "other pump", I think the one for the thermos was making excessive noise. They checked and told me that because I have the extended warranty, they could change that also for a $50.00 deductible.

I have noticed that after I turn off the car, there is a whirring noise that sounds a bit pathetic. Not having anything to compare it with, I wondered if it was normal or ok. For $50.00 I told them to do it.

My Prius has 67k miles on it, so I told them to change the ATF fluid also with the correct WS fluid. They told me it costs $8.00 a quart, and I need 3.2 qts. The cost for them to do it will be $75.00....so $40 for labor.....It's here, it's snowing outside and 20 degrees, so I told them to do that also. I guess I'm soft today. Oh well.

It's my understanding that the Prius radiator is kind of split into two, so if I'm having both pumps changed today, does this mean I will have total cooling fluid new now?

Thanks, Frank D.

18. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    That's a good price, It's $100 at my CT dealer
    There are 4 pumps in all. You still have the original mechanical ICE coolant pump (probably good for another 100k miles but have them check it for leaks next time) and the heater coolant pump (very reliable)
    Yes, two separate systems. You will have new coolant in both loops if they have a total of more than two gallons of coolant in the materials list. You will need to follow the "every 50k mile" coolant refresh anyway so it makes no difference.
    JeffD

19. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    two hours,eh? well, it took me five days (yes days) from the time I dropped off the car until I got it back! Why? two reasons: first, at the end of the first day (last Friday), I got a call saying they "got" the wrong pump (I wonder who made the error, the dealer service rep or the supplier?) and needed to reorder it. Second, I left my car there over the weekend, and of course they didn't work on the car again until sometime Monday (whenever they got the right part). They called me last night (Monday night) a few minutes before closing to tell me they had completed the job, so I picked up the car this morning, Tuesday.
    I should add that the service rep also put me down for the acceleration pedal modification, which they performed on Friday. I also had a weird experience while driving the car home from the dealer: even though it was 18 degrees F. outside, no heat at all from my Prius while driving home, even the temp. gauge didn't show on the display and pushing buttons to change the desired temp did nothing. I was about to turn around and go back to the dealer, but had a happy thought: I turned up the fan setting from low to medium, and voila! heat came up instantly and all the temperature readings came back too! What was that all about?

20. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is for the Brooklyn, NY people out here. bay Ridge Toyota has the pumps in stock. I'm bring Mina in next Wednesday.