1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[Stranded!] Electrical Gremlin!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gaujo, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Gaujo

Gaujo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For two months I have been experiencing a strange electrical problem where when I park the car and remove the key, it keeps beeping at me as if I have the key still in the ignition. I double check there aren't any electrical sources on, find none, and just get out of the car (it beeps until the driver's door opens and closes).

It's happened about 4 times.

The first time it happened when we got back to the car it was totally dead, but it accepted a jump and drove normally.

Second, third time this happened there were no ill effects and it started when I got back to the car.

It happened again last night and it is totally dead again this morning. Will NOT accept a jump. when I try to jump it i get absolutely zilch, just a check engine light on the dash and that's it.

Also there has been another strange intermittent electrical issue similar to a recent post in November on this area where when I try to start the car all the P,F,R etc lights blink at once, the gas gauge goes to empty, and the car won't start. I remove the key and keep trying and eventually it starts, and resets the gas gauge after driving for a while. Super weird!

Well, I figured these things were so odd that they are likely to have happened before, but I just have no idea what the search term would be to find them! Can any of you help me? I am making preparations to have it towed to the dealer, but really wish I could have a better idea what is going on and fix myself if possible.

Would just go buy a battery, but the fact that it won't take a jump tells me that probably won't fix it.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you should start by buying a new 12V battery since it is highly likely the old battery is dead. The fact that the car won't accept a jump could mean that the old battery is shorted and therefore the car can't get 12V from the jump source.

3. famtruss

famtruss New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a vaugely similar issue with the problems we've been having concerning our 04, except ours won't start at all and the dealer can't seem to trace down an open circuit in the car which is preventing the 12VDC rail from operating properly.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    G2 is a disaster when it starts having electrical issues and you know nothing about it and then at the dealer mercy.
    I can say if you have good 12 volts into the main fuse box via the front jump points that’s about 90% of it.

Really simple test requires a good quality voltmeter.

But bottom line do what Pat says buy a new 12 volt battery first.