1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stranded in sulphur LA with a P3190 after oil change

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheresaC, Mar 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TheresaC

TheresaC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hello!

I am on my way back to Nevada from Florida. I stopped and had my oil changed at jiffy lube in LA. Soon as I pulled away saw a check engine light and the hybrid system warning light came on.

Girl that changed oil said only thing out of the ordinary was something about the air filter housing came off she put it back on she couldn’t get one of the clips back on. I know nothing about cars so I have no idea what she was talking about.

So drove it to auto zone. It is running fine as far as I can see. The hybrid system warning light went off but check engine light is still on.

They plugged it in with a P3190 poor engine power code.

Its Sunday so no Toyota dealership open. Immediate concern is it safe to drive?? Wondering if it’s safe to drive to the dealership or to a hotel or should I have it towed? (I also have large amount of valuable things as I’m driving cross the country so I’d like to be able to drive it myself if it’s safe)

Any ideas what could be causing this??

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    ? No water or oil lost? No smoke out the back? I would take it to a dealer in the morning without driving much. The list of possibilities is long and some are not that great so the best move is to wait.

3. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Can you check the oil level? Here is a video,

Oil and lube places are notorious for not tighten the oil cap, tighten the oil plug, and not putting in oil or to the proper level.

TheresaC likes this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a leak in the intake that's throwing the code.

TheresaC likes this.
  5. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    scona and TheresaC like this.
  6. TheresaC

TheresaC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you so much for your replies. I did check the oil after getting to the auto zone and it looked ok to me. I decided to drive to a hotel about 3 miles away and am having it towed to a Toyota dealership in nearby Lake Charles tomorrow. I hope my baby is ok

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on how bad the dealer shanks you @ Lake Chuck.

I think that the Jiffy Lube place nackered something in your intake. I would send them some hate mail along with the 3 bills (theirs, Tow Truck’s and Toyota’s) and maybe a printout from this thread and go after them for the......hmmm.....I’m guessing......$275 repair bill plus towing.

Good Luck!
    It will be interesting to see what the diagnosis is.....

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    throw in the hotel bill too

dig4dirt likes this.
  9. TheresaC

TheresaC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hello

So next day on way to Toyota dealership check engine light turned off. It drove fine so apparently it was safe to drive. Toyota dealership said I needed the valve assembly vacuum replaced. When I had gone to auto zone the prior night it read code P3190 with a suggestion to replace the “mass air flow sensor”. The invoice from Toyota also said ecm needed re flashing. Not sure what that meant just noticed it on the invoice. I used to know a decent amount about cars but then I had a Camry for seven years and you know..never spent any time in the garage with that one..lol

So being in a bind I had no choice but to take their word for it, so hopefully it was what I really needed. I am now in Texas and everything is going great. Cost was 360 dollars..

bisco and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  10. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Trade the car off..... Before the bad stuff starts happening..... get another Camry

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three