1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange and unexpected Wire !

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Abdullah Jordan, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Abdullah Jordan

Abdullah Jordan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello

I bought a salvage prius 2010 package 5 with ATP , i rebuilt it my self , it had a rear end major damage , it took me very hard to get it back to street , and i did it , now its a very good car , in fact , it seems that it never did an accident , through my rebuilding process i found a strange unexpected wire , i dont know what to do with it , i will attache the car pic before and after , also the pic of the cable and the location of it , sorry for my bad English , but your are the only one who can help me with this .

20702755_3X.JPG
    before the rebuilding

11897021_10206442017704979_1307352598_n.jpg after rebuild

11910650_10206442017624977_1432206663_n.jpg after rebuild

11910926_10206442018144990_1854736465_n.jpg
    after rebuild

11857650_10206390085206699_505966620_n.jpg
    the unknown cable (Wire)

I appreciate your help ....

el Crucero likes this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Give us a wider angle picture of the location of this wire in relation to the surrounding areas.

3. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    this is a wider pic , have a look please . 11872776_10206390099887066_2101419341_n.jpg

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Proximity sensor?

5. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i though that , but there is no any button to disable / enable it .

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I can see from the picture, but if it has more than 1 wire, it should be the prox, sensor.
    These sensors do have a disable button in the cockpit area, near the OBDII connector.

7. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i checked now , there are 2 buttons only , the first one is "set" its for Tire pressure the second one for pre crash system !

8. OBJ

OBJ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it's the Antenna outside luggage compartment for the SKS.

9. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Great job Abdullah!!!! (y) Sorry I can't help you with the wire. If your car operates fine, why worry about it? "SKS" means "Smart Key System". It took me a long time to figure this out and English is my first language!

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I would encourage you to check the Wiring Diagram Manual at techinfo.toyota.com and look it up ... here is how I would probably do it:

Start in the Electrical Wiring Routing section (it is section G in my manual, but I would not know if they keep the same section designations in your year). Find the Position of Parts in Body page(s) and see what connectors are shown near where yours is. They will be called out with letter/number designations and descriptions for each one.

Then, take the likeliest letter-number designations and look for them in the Connector List section (section K in mine), looking for a match on the shape and color of the connector.

At that point, you will probably know what you are looking at, but for final certainty you can look in the System Circuits section (H in mine...) for the circuit in question (use the description from section G to suggest what circuit to look up), find the same letter/number designated connector there and confirm the wire color/stripe color of the wire attached to it.

Then you will be quite sure that you know what that wire and connector are, and what they are for.

Regards,
    -Chap

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I didn't notice your location at first ... I don't know whether techinfo.toyota.com would be accessible for you, or if they have a different site with the similar service for your area.

-Chap

12. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks Chap , i will try doing this

13. Abdullah Jordan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes the car operates very well , all techno package things work fine , even the auto park , i just though if that cable useful i will use it .

14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With a wiring diagram, I'd basically note the number and color(s) of the wires on both sides of the suspect area. Then, examine the diagram to see what it has that matches. Without a wiring diagram, I'd have to find something matching on another Prius.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota's wiring diagram manuals have some very useful sections (like the Wiring Routing section and the Connection List) that offer a pretty quick strategy for finding what the OP is looking for, as I outlined in #10. What they don't have (at least in Gen 1, awesome if they've added it) is an index on wire colors, so trying to search 150+ pages of diagram starting with a wire color would be sort of brain-numbing.

On the other hand, once you've got a likely suspect from the routing section and connector list, flipping straight to that circuit to confirm the wire colors match what you're seeing is easy.

-Chap

16. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aren't wiring diagrams supposed to have color designations on each wire? How else will you know if your tracing the correct wire in the diagram?

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh, they totally do - it's just that they don't provide an index by wire color, there's no section at the back where you say "ok, a white wire with a blue stripe, there's one like that in the circuits on pages 42, 87, 112, 119, 143, 150, 229, and 240". Right? So if you've got anything better to do with your time than flip page by page through a couple hundred pages of diagram scanning every page top to bottom for the color of wire you're looking for, then you start by using one of the quick-access sections that do exist, like Wiring Routing, and Connector List, and then you turn to the right pages for the corresponding circuit, and confirm that the wire color shown there is what you've got. Bit faster, that.

-Chap

18. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, okay. Never see a reason to do that much. The color indexing is so you can identify the wire & cluster on the diagram. If you follow the wire, the diagram will tell you what it goes to. If you know basic wiring, you'll figure out some things such as which is ground, hot and switched/signal. If I had a diagram and knew the wire colors, I could search the diagram and find what it goes to.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's just a matter of how much time you want to spend at it. If you're most comfortable eyeballing all the diagrams in section H to find your wire on one of them, nothing stops you. It's just that Toyota has gone the extra mile to put other sections in the manual that allow you to accomplish the same task much faster. Since I don't know how busy the original poster is, I thought I'd recommend the faster ways first just in case. Nothing you wouldn't find in section B "How to use this manual," and really just basic library skills at the end of the day.

If you haven't ever looked at a Toyota wiring diagram manual before, maybe you're thinking there's one gigantic fold-out diagram somewhere that resembles the physical layout of the car so you'd look near the rear bumper and find your wire. There isn't; the diagrams are split up by functional subsystem (power windows, steering, ABS, etc.) and they are schematics, not physical layouts. If you know what subsystem a wire is part of, yes, you can flip straight to that diagram and see how it works. If you are in the original poster's position, looking at a wire and wanting to find out what subsystem it's part of, then that method isn't going to work as well. :) Toyota had to make the manual useful for questions like the OP has too, so that's why they also included sections that do let you look something up by where it is in the car, or by what connector you're looking at.

Even though there is a section M "Overall electrical wiring diagram", it still isn't what you might be thinking. It is still schematic, not physical, and it's still divided by subsystem. So it's really just the same diagrams as section H but shrunk into ~ 30 pages instead of ~ 200 by using smaller print and only black ink. (Section M does still show wire colors, but only by letter codes, not by printing in color as in section H.)

-Chap

20. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two