1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

strange buzzing in steering column

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Loaftx, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Loaftx

Loaftx New Member

I have a 2007 package 5 with under 2000 miles. Occasionally, and perhaps more frequently of late but not always, when I put my foot on the brake, there is a strange buzzing in the stearing column for about a second or so. Has anyone heard of this? Should I take it in?

I don't remember this with the cars I test drove.

Also, there sometimes seems to be a buzzing in the engine area when I turn off the car.

Both seems to be electrical but I really do't know. :eek: java script:emoticon(':eek:',%20'smid_11') :eek:

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The buzzing with the brake is the brake accumulator pump. The Prius can't use normal vacuum assist for power brakes, so it uses a little pump. It runs about every third time you press on the brake peddle.

The pump sound when you shut down is a coolant transfer pump that save hot engine coolant in a thermos bottle for later use. This helps you start with a warm engine the next time you start.

It's all normal. Don't worry.

Tom

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Normal

and

Normal.

:)

4. Loaftx

Loaftx New Member

Thank y'all for explaining that, it save me some worry and a trip to the dealer.