1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange consumption readings of late.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by whippie, May 1, 2005.

1. whippie

whippie New Member

I am finding just recently (since my first 1000km service) that I get a really weird consumption reading when I have the engine engaged, but have come to a stop and have pressed the "P" park button. I often find this when I go to pick a friend up from work; I drive approx 10kms (4Miles?) and then stop, put the car into park and wait approx 5 minutes for my friend to come out to where I am waiting. During this time the air-con is not running, the only accessory that is running is the radio and I cannot hear the petrol engine at all. However suddenly when the consumption metre for that 5 minutes clicks over it is showing that the engine consumed 10L/100KM for that 5 minutes I was sitting idle. This is very stange as I know it isn't using any petrol, when running the car for the first 5 minutes I never use more than 7L/100KM. It seems to be a computer glitch but the concern I have is that it is interfering with my overall consumption readings indicating that on average I am using more petrol than I acrually should be.

Has anyone had a similar experience, any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I would keep the car in the Energy screen so you can see the HV battery SOC (State of Charge), and tell when the ICE is charging the battery.

The DC/DC converter is always running to keep the aux battery charged, so yes, without the AC or moving, you can slowly drain the battery.

Consumption for Canada is fuel used/distance covered. In your case, distance is 0, so you actually have a divide by 0 error.
    However, if you have the denominator approach 0, you approach infinite, so one could say finite number/0 = infinity. For us, we register distance/fuel used so 0/anything other than 0 is 0.

3. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    DanMan32 is right on! It is actually showing infinity but due to the screen can only display max. 10L/100km, it is "out of range".

The same can be said of MPG. When no petrol is used for 5 minutes. going downhill, the infinity is showing as 99.9 MPG.

Another point to add regarding the effect on overall consumption readings. I think you are trying to average the 5 minutes consumption bars mentally and have the imppression that it is using more petrol. Please note that this mental calculations are accurate only when you are moving at a constant speed. The car computers calculate overall consumption based on total petrol consumed and total distance travelled and is not on averaging of the 5 minutes bar.

If you are still concerned, you can always switch to ACC mode. However, please be warned not to drain the Aux. battery for too long, otherwise you may find yourself needing a jump start.

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds to me like a quirk with the differing way that the graphs represent fuel consumption. Since in metrics, you guys shoot for a lower bar in the graph, in the US measurements, we want a "maxed out" bar graph on our screens. I have quite often sat at a sonic to buy junk food, or in waiting in a pilot car guided construction zone, and logged a "zero" mpg figure with the car in park, and everything off, but the car in ready mode. Since a maximum bar represents "zero mpg" in metrics, the system is simply trying to show you that you've in effect logged zero mpg for that stretch of driving zero miles.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

is this a 2k4-5 Prius or a Classic Prius. This is normal for a Classic but abnomal for a k24-5. On the Classic if your just sitting there with the ICE not running it'll show full bars as time goes on. 10L per hundred klicks. solid. On the wife's 2k4 if you sit there and the ICE doesn't cycle on for a five minute block the bar will be at the bottom. 0L per hundred Km.

6. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I think whippie is refering to 2k4-5 because Classic do not have "P" park button, "P" is on the shifter.

Sorry, I didn't know there is a difference on the 2K4, thanks for pointing that out, Frank.

7. Frank Hudon

thanks for pointing out the "P" button comment. I guess I was in snooze mode on that one.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If ANY fuel is consumed within the 5 minute period, but no or little movement, the bars will be high, classic or THSII. It uses the same math.

Again, observe the energy screen.

9. Frank Hudon

Dan on the Classic even with if the ICE doesn't start it still hit's the top which is trying to tell you your getting like 1 MPG. 10 liter per hundred is as high as the screen reads. Which is about 28 miles to the gallon. The only thing it doesn't seem to affect is the life time L per hundred. On the 2K4 if your sitting there and the ICE doesn't start the bar will be all the way at the bottom. 0 liter per hundred which is like your 99.9 mpg read out. The wifes 2k1 was the same as my 2k3.

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That makes no sense. Sounds like a programming bug. If ICE isn't turning, there's no way any fuel is used.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whippie\";p=\"86133)</div>
    Mostly likely, it is not representative of "sitting idle". You cannot start measurement until *AFTER* the next bar has appeared *AFTER* you have already been sitting there for a little bit.

I've witnessed the "floating regen" symbol a few times now in both my Classic & HSD Prius. The Multi-Display will show that I had regened electricity in a segment where I wasn't even moving... or so I thought. In reality, the cutoff for measurement of all the contributing data for the next segment does not occur the exact moment the previous one appears on the screen.

In other words, tell us what happens after you have been sitting there at least 10 minutes.

12. c4

c4 Active Member

Exactly, it is a bug in the programming of the Classic- I had asked this question in the electronics forum last month and everyone there said I was crazy, but this really is what happens on the Canadian (and maybe European/other Metric countries Classic Prius models).. Instead of going to 0L/100km, when the engine is totally stopped and *NOT* consuming anything, the MFD shows an infinite reading (this doesn't affect the consumption total at the bottom of the screen though, only the bar graph). It's annoying to be cruising at some low consumption rate, come to a stop with ICE off (as verified by Miniscanner), and have these 10L bars pop up..

In fact, if you start the car, then turn it off into ACC, everything is off except the 12V accessories but the MFD consumption display will happily continue displaying 10L bars across the screen every 5 minutes, even though (by virtue of the car being shut off and put in ACC mode) absolutely no fuel is being consumed! It's a quirk that annoys the heck out of me because it's so obvious and should have been picked up in the first stages of testing.. Can anyone with an original Japanese Prius confirm or deny whether this occurs with their car?

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Maybe they were anticipating the drain on the HV battery that has to be replaced using fuel?

14. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"87130)</div>
    In other words, tell us what happens after you have been sitting there at least 10 minutes.
    [/b][/quote]
    after 20 minutes still at the top 10L per hundred Km. ICE still not started, like c4 said confirmed with the miniscanner. Can't go 25 minutes as the O2 signal drops to 0 mv and the ICE fires no matter what the state of the BSOC or ICE temp.