1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange cruise control behavior

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Xiidaen, May 17, 2005.

1. Xiidaen

Xiidaen New Member

So, I'm driving down the highway going to work, a little distracted when I notice that the cruise control isn't working. I have it turned on, but when I engage it, the car does not maintain speed.

I turn off the radio and listen, and realize that whenever I take my foot off the gas (cruise control on or off) the ICE is revved up almost like I'm downshifting, I can feel the car braking as if I've downshifted, and the car slows rapidly.

There are no warning lights or other indicators.

When I get off the highway (in a mile or so) I power down and restart the car, and everything appears to work normally.

Any ideas what that was? I'm due for my 5000 mile service in 500 miles, should I mention it then (a couple weeks tops) or deal with it immediately?

Your advice greatly appreciated.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Were you in B mode? Symptoms seem to match for B mode behavior. CC I don't believe works in B mode. Regen braking will be more significant and ICE spinning without gas will be added to the mix. On stops, ICE most likely will not shut down in B mode.

You can go from D to B very easily, just push the shifter down without going left.

3. Xiidaen

Xiidaen New Member

I'm sure I didn't change into B - I can't say that the car didn't somehow get into B on it's own.

4. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think DanMan is right. Similar situation happened to me. Cruise control didn't seem to work and car wanted to decelerate. After a few miles I noticed it was in B. I was able to just shift to D and everything was ok again. I realized that I had inadvertently hit the shifter when reaching for something in the back and apparently shifted to B. Very easy to do.

5. Xiidaen

Xiidaen New Member

Ok, I'll check that -- maybe even do it purposely and see if the behavior matches. Thanks for the help!

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    CC definately willl NOT engage in 'B' mode. It is mentioned in the manual somewhere. Like others, I once forgot I was in B mode after coming down a steep hill and couldn't figure out why the CC wouldn't engage when I got on the flatter section.

I would only be concerned if you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY know you didn't put it in B mode on purpose or or by accident. It shouldn't shift there by itself.