1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange door locking beeeeeep

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RAM v, Mar 9, 2015.

1. RAM v

RAM v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Normally when I lock my '14 'v' I touch the sensor on the drivers door handle and I hear the beep and the doors lock. Today I had one instance when I touched the sensor (bare handed) and the doors didn't lock and I got a continuous beep until I opened the door. Checked and everything looked OK. All the doors were closed, etc. Tried it 2 or 3 times and the same thing happened. I finally gave up and locked it with the fob, which worked fine. The next time I went to lock it, several hours later, it worked fine.
    I couldn't find anything in the manual that would indicate why I got this continuous beep and no door lock. Anyone else run into this or have an idea why it did this?

NEVER MIND - - - - - - - I found the answer elsewhere on Priuschat:

"One long beep means that the car can't lock. Generally this is because of an open door or hatch, or that another key fob has been left inside the car."

My wife had left her purse (with her fob in it) in the car as we were just going to hop out for a couple of minutes to take some pictures of an ice sculpture.

#1 RAM v, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have a couple times, gremlins, i guess.:p

3. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like the car thought that either the key was still inside or that one of the doors or hatch was ajar. I have had it happen when the seat belt buckle gets caught in the door jamb when I close the door.

Bill the Engineer

xpcman likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You certainly don't want to lock it with the only key fob in the car. That's almost as bad as dropping off the driver who has the fob. In that case the car can stay running without a fob but won't start again after the second driver power's it down.

5. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It is very common for me to drive from our beach condo to work on Monday morning... and then have my wife drive the Prius home. I ALWAYS turn the car off when I get out, just to make sure that she really does have her key fob (rather than just thinking she does).

/Jim