1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

strange electric motor (?) noise at the slightest movement?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DogDaze, Feb 1, 2016.

1. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi folks,

A quick question, currently an observation.. but a concern.
    we purchased our 2012v used at 55k miles..

She's running great, MPG's are above rated expectations. (ave 47.2 so far)
    We are currently @ ~59400 miles..
    So, all seems OK w/the exception of this strange noise..

I'm familiar with the typical prox pulse sound at low EV speeds..
    and this noise is not that one..

This noise is only noticeable in 'stop go' situations, or when just barely a roll..
    it happens in forward or reverse.. (if you can block out the annoying reverse beep)
    It almost sounds almost like a disk brake is dragging.. even tho, it does it almost before the car even rolls.
    I first heard it in stop/go traffic.. especially noticeable if by a tall curb or wall. You can't hear it if the radio or fan blower is on.. you can't hear it once the engine starts.. it's nearly impossible to hear it while in most normal traffic if the windows are up. It's nearly impossible to hear over the sound of the brakes (hydraulic pump)

To me it sounds like the electric motor or inverter as if it is dragging or has a noisy bushing. (?)

My wife's 2011 liftback, which we've owned since new does not make this same noise.
    Since the v is running so well (we like it a lot) I'd be inclined to shrug it off as normal..
    But I wonder if I should take it in before 60k to inquire?
    I'd assume that it is most likely from the hybrid system.. so, maybe we have till 80k?

I believe it's probably done this since we've had it.. and we didn't notice it previously..
    So, I don't think it's anything new or recent since we've owned it.
    Maybe I'm still a little paranoid.. & maybe it's one of those weird Hybrid noises that's just normal?

This all happens at just barely a roll.. like < 1 or 2 mph.. by 3 mph, it's gone..

Has anyone heard that sort of noise before?? I haven't tried to capture it yet.. it'd be kinda hard to do I think.
    Thanks in Advance..

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is a speaker that produces a noise at low speeds to warn pedestrians that you are there and in electric only mode. You can hear it louder if you drive by a wall at a drive in restaurant or you stand outside while someone else rolls by you. I believe the 2012's were the first to have it.

3. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi RJ, thanks for your note regarding the speaker.. I'm aware of that and most certain that's not what this noise is.. that sounds pretty normal to me.. (that typical whine they make) this noise is different.. almost like a disk brake pad turning on a rotor.. but as noted, it makes the noise before the car is really moving to be coming from the brakes... (I know, it is weird.. & kinda hard to describe)

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would stand outside and determine where it is coming from. A disk would be identifiable by location. If it's something under the hood (which is everything from the brake booster pump to the transaxle) it would probably sound equal from both sides. By the way the speaker is left front corner (driver's side).

DogDaze likes this.
  5. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I'd experienced some "cogging" or "chugging" noises at very specific, very low speed. (i.e. it is clearly noticeable, but only for a very specific speed. Any faster or slower, and there's no sign of it.) If you search this forum, you'll be able to find my (and perhaps some others') discussions on it here.

Bottom line was that what I had observed was somewhat normal, and due to the placement of magnets in the rotor, I think...

DogDaze likes this.
  6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    the proximity alert noise comes on as soon as you put it in gear, whether you are moving or not. It sounds a lot like a bad bearing to me.

DogDaze likes this.
  7. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ah, OK... thanks guys for the info on all the posts.. but I think this is what it is.. & agree, I guess that it does sound like a bad bearing now that you mention it.. & I'll bet that's what I'm hearing too... I'm only hearing it just as it starts to roll.. barely roll.. once rolling, the proximity alert noise becomes more typical to what I'm used to hearing..

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bearings get noisier as hey get worse. you can try jacking it up and spinning the wheels.

9. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ah, I may end up doing this... I guess I was thinking the proximity sensor commonly made a noise that sounded like that. I think I misunderstood..

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only place i get a really clear sense of the prox noise is in my garage with the windows down. and thats only a few feet unfortunately.

DogDaze likes this.
  11. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay guys,

After listening to this w/my headset on:

maybe I'm getting the electric motor inverter whine confused with the proximity sensor noise..
    Our v is sounding just like in the YouTube.. so, I guess that's normal. (it actually is annoying)

My wife's 2011 liftback has the inverter whine at low speeds while in EV mode.. and was before the proximity alert was released in 2012.
    I've always considered that noise normal.. I guess the 2012 proximity alert is what I'm hearing now that I heard it on the YouTube link.

Thanks Again for all your suggestions... You're always most helpful here on Prius Chat..

12. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think that's exactly what I'm hearing.. The cars drive so similar, I keep forgetting her 2011 is a year older.. (we got it in Nov) and don't have that prox noise. Our prox alert must be slightly louder as I can hear it even before the garage..

another annoying thing on her lift back is the radio volume controls on the steering wheel..
    they go 'left right' to decrease or increase volume.. unlike the 2012's..
    So in her car, I'm always accidentally changing the station.. when I want to change the volume..
    I did this before the v, & glad they changed it in 2012.. (lol)

bisco likes this.