1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Error lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by krigasste, May 1, 2008.

1. krigasste

krigasste New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    While driving (sometimes, not every time) the red triangle light comes on as well as a yellow light in the upper left of the Nav Screen that shows what appears to be a headlight and up and down arrows around the light. Of course, the all too helpful service manual just says to take it to the Toyota dealer. If this was a simple issue with the auto-leveling headlamps or something like that, I'll get to it eventually, but if it's more serious I'll take it in.

More specifics: It happens at any given time, highway speed, stopped at a light, braking, accelerating, right when I start, later while driving, sometimes it will come on for a few minutes, turn off, turn back on 10 minutes later etc, totally random (at least to me).

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like an issue with your HID headlight leveler. Have
    you noticed anything odd about headlight aim recently?
    _H*

3. krigasste

krigasste New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, but it's been a rough winter on the car with all the potholes in Chicago, not surprising something didn't get knocked out of whack!

4. neon8s

neon8s New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I feel your pain!
    2005 prius.
    same pkg.
    exact same problem w/ ! & headlight level error message.
    took it to the dealer last wk, could not do anything but reset alert.
    happened again today.
    will visit dealer tomorrow.
    I'll stay in touch.
    good luck w/ yours!
    neon8s

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. ClaudesPrius

ClaudesPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Took the sensor apart - easy to remove from car. Corrosion inside, almost unrepairable in my case. Resetting the sensor will not do it. Needs to be replaced or rebuilt. you can email directly if you like for details.

7. neon8s

neon8s New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Indeed it is the sensor.
    I had the same problem.
    Followed Bill's suggestion above.
    The dealer replaced the sensor.
    No more red !

8. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I've started having a problem (or multiple problems?) with the HID headlights on my 2007.

One night a few weeks ago, I turned on the headlights and noticed they were lighting up the road close to the car, but only a couple of car lengths in the distance it was dark. (No warning lights came on the MFD.) After I got home I turned off the headlights and powered off. I figured it was a problem with the automatic leveling sensor. I drove the car the next day but only during daylight hours, so I didn't use the headlights.

The next morning, when I powered on the car, I got:

- "PROBLEM" displayed on the MFD.
    - red "!" and yellow headlight icon lights on dashboard.

Turned on the headlights, got out and looked at them, but there was no light coming from them. Turned the headlights off. Drove straight to the dealer, told the service guy what happened, turned on the headlights and they worked (of course; problems always mysteriously go away at the dealer). But I opened the manual and showed him the headlight icon that had been on earlier, and he said he would replace the headlights because he has been seeing problems with Prius headlights. This was done under warrently since the car (I only have 21,000 miles on the car).

This happened a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have not seen the warning lights again, but the new headlights are still not providing any illumination more than a couple of car lengths in front of me.

I'm planning to bring the car back in for service to ask them to check the automatic leveler, but first I was wondering, does this sound like it's all one issue, or did more than one thing go wrong and they just happened to go wrong at the same time?

Thanks