1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Fillup?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by MNPrius, Nov 2, 2005.

1. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Another newbie question, so apologies in advance if this has been answered numerous times. I filled up yesterday (tank #2) and when I started the car only 2 fuel bars were lit. I started driving and probably in 10 second intervals my fuel bars lit up one by one until they were full. That seemed odd! Any comments? BTW - 46.5 MPG for that 2nd tank :lol:

2. sloflier

sloflier Junior Member

Totally normal, have fun driving your new Prius.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes it is odd, but I agree with sloflier it is also normal. You may also notice that it takes a little while for your consumption figures (mpg and miles) to reset.

4. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I was going to post a new one but it will fit in right here:

Last night I found a cheap $2.67 Arco/AMPM station to fill up at. I was at 1 bar but it wasn't flashing. I had 446 miles on the tank. I had no cash so I used my debit card (charged me an extra $0.45 doah!). The pump kept clicking off and after a few minutes of messing with it I tried another pump (this time using some quarters I had so as not to get another 45 cent hit). And the other pump wouldn't work either. I tried different angles and making sure it had a good seal. So I only pumped about 3 gallons and decided to go somewhere else. When I went to the counter to get my money back they told me there must be a problem with my car. I told them I don't have a problem at Mobil and I bet this happens to every Prius that goes to that station. They didn't care of course. Sure enough, down the road, less than a mile was a Mobil and I filled the rest of the way with no problem.

The ultra strange part was that between the 2 stations my gauge told me the tank was full when I knew I only had a few gallons in there. Then after leaving Mobil with a full tank the gauge showed 1 bar below full for a few miles and then added the last bar. Strange.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fill ups are a problem and it gets worse the colder it is out. I had been sticking to one pump at one station where I got consistent fills and someone "adjusted" it and now it won't fill the tank. The whole bladder thing is strange and takes getting use to. If you are keeping track of milage and such a short fill will tip you off. If it is too good to be true, it's too good to be true.

6. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Thanks - I've only filled the car twice and both at the 2 bar mark (I'm not one to see how long I can go on a tank :rolleyes: !). I put in what I thought was the "right" amount of fuel - 7.2 gallons.. . it was just when I started the car the display slowly made it's way from 2 bars to full that I thought was strange. I'll have plenty of experience with cold too.