1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange happening with new brake pump

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GrumpyCabbie, Dec 4, 2013.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess my American friends got the brake pump recall too. I had mine done about 6 months ago.

Today something strange happened and I'll explain as follows;

We're all familiar with the floating sensation or loss of brake feel when driving over wet metal drain covers etc, that caused many recalls early in the gen3's life. The last update/recall appeared to solve my braking in such situations.

Well today I was driving along a regular section of road where this floating section could occur (wet drain cover on a hill near some traffic lights). The car hit the wet drain cover and the new brake pump went absolutely crazy pumping at high speed, yet the braking was totally fine and unaffected when it would have been pre recalls. No harm done or loss of braking and no floating, yet a very loud pumping going on for a couple seconds (it wasn't the ABS).

Would the floating issue have been in part caused by the old brake pump not being able to keep enough pressure in the system, hence why some owners still experienced the 'floating' sensation despite the many recalls?

Anyone else experienced this or is it complete coincidence?

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the US recall was for pressure accumulator?

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the Brake Booster Pump Assembly replaced with the US recall. I have hit the slick surfaces and potholes since and have not experienced what you describe. I still get the sudden decrease in braking during the transition but not the crazy pumping. At least not yet !