1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange honking sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tom1l21, Mar 30, 2009.

1. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I'm at a stop, occasionally I will hear a very faint honking news (as if you were to lightly tap the horn on a gm vehicle). It happens maybe once or twice a day and it is usually only one to three honks at a time. I notice it because I'm always looking around thinking someone is honking at me. It almost sounds like the sound of a dry squeegee on your windshield. Its not my wipers either. They are off when I hear it. Any ideas?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is the light green by any chance?

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    LOL, no. I've even heard it when I pulled into a parking lot and had the car in park for a few minutes.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is something wonky with the brakes. Many of us have experienced it, and I believe that there was even a TSB on it. It only happens in my car when I'm at altitude - and others found the same thing. Very odd. Since it doesn't happen where I drive the other 360 days of the year, I've decided not to worry about it - but I do know how disconcerting it can be!

1 person likes this.
  5. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are the geese heading north early?

6. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

What do you mean by altitude as well as technical service bulletin (i believe that is what TSB is)

7. marzprius

marzprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've heard this too! Only when I apply firm brake pressure while the car is stopped, like when I'm trying to FAS it. It's infrequent, & I've only heard one, possibly 2 honks at a time. Curious as to what it might be. :confused:

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a TSB out for it. Take it to the dealer, they will first try to bleed the brake lines. If that doesn't work they will replace some gizmo or other. In the case of my wife's car, that fixed it:)

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tom -

What I mean is altitude... uh... height above sea level. And TSB... Tech Service Bulletin as you have correctly surmised.

It happens to me when I leave my roughly sea-level city, and drive to higher places... at altitude. And there is a tech Bulletin issued on it - since posted here. Not sure what else I can add.

11. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

yeah I didn't know if you meant hi or lo altitude. I'll see if my dealership can fix it. If I do nothing about it, will it become a problem later?

12. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am going to take my car into the dealership early this week to have them fix my SKS. My car is a 2005 with 83k on it. I know the service bulletins were only for 3 years or 36k, but should I have the dealership fix the problem? I have a 30 day warranty on the car since I purchased it only 3 weeks ago. Will this become a major problem in the future?

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since brake system performance is not affected by this, it should not become a major problem. However if you can get the 30 day warranty policy to cover the problem, why not.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My master cylinder starked squeaking last fall when we were out west at altitude. It stopped when I got back to the lowlands of Michigan.

Tom

15. oldensign

oldensign Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    After much investigation (precious little of it by my Toyota dealer), I narrowed the very brief honk down to the pump in the "thermos bottle" that holds warm engine coolant. The honking noise in my 2005 was typically present when the car hadn't been started for awhile. It's been going on for about 6 months.

Once I TOLD the dealer where the noise was coming from, they consulted Tpyota and solved the problem.....by declaring it to be a "normal operating noise". Problem solved! :boxing:

As far as I know, it's not harmful; at least nothing has exploded yet. My wife's 2006 and my sister's 2007 haven't started making this noise yet.