1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange issues with prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Duddy11, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Duddy11

Duddy11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone, I'm having some very strange issues with my Prius. It's been getting worse lately but this is what's happening. Sometimes when I come back to the car after letting it sit for x amount of time Kama it will have no power at all. But if I slam the back driver side door comma power gets restored back to the car and the car starts out in ACC mode. Another weird thing that's been happening is that sometimes when I shut down the car by pressing the power button, the car would come completely on shortly after. I have a feeling it might be something electronic, or it might be one of the computers inside the car. Also my stereo settings get reset along with my mileage information. I don't think it's the 12 volt battery because the car starts up fine after I slam the door. Maybe there's a loose connection somewhere but I checked the terminals on the battery and they seem just fine.BTW, is a 2007 Prius touring model with 157000 miles

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes that sounds like the 12v battery. A Prius will boot with a 10v-ish 12v battery but the systems won't function too well.

3. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Id start looking for a shorted wire on the door you have to slam to get it going. sounds like you have a grounding problem since its going into ACC mode

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! do you have sks?

5. Duddy11

Duddy11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This happened the other day and I literally let the car sit for like 5 minutes. You would think the alternator will be charging that battery Karma what if I use a Multimeter to see if the battery's voltage is sufficient. Would I have to go into the back trunk and dig out the battery in order to do that?

6. Duddy11

Duddy11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And the battery is only one and a half years old. I'm currently residing in Arizona if that helps with helping diagnosis. How do I check for short out wires

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Put a multimeter to the battery in the morning; this assumes the car sat overnight. Measure the voltage with no load. Then measure the voltage with a load (press Power button twice w/ foot off brake so the car is IG-ON).

A healthy 12V should give you 12V with a load, IIRC. 11V-12V you should consider replacement, esp if it closer to 11V.

Your 1.5 y/o battery could have gone bad unexpectedly; life happens. If this battery was ever drained to the point where you had to have the car jumped to get going, then absolutely yes, this event has led the battery to an early demise. Also, short trips don't let the battery recharge sufficiently.

Hopefully you just have a weak battery, and recharge or replacement will make your problems go away.

Sounds like you have SKS. Was the replacement an Optima Yellowtop or preferably a Toyota/Bosch/Exide; the latter is better for SKS cars due to the larger AmpHour capacity.