1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

strange MPG loss

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dwp-wa, May 29, 2009.

1. dwp-wa

dwp-wa New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My oil/filter changes never work out the same as other services. Just before 15,000 miles, the MPG went down to 28 MPG, and back up after service. I have the 30,000 miles service next Monday. After I had the oil changed last month, my MPG dropped from 44 MPG to 32 MPG. The dealer swears they do not cause this, but it sure looks suspicious.

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some people are more careful. They disconnect the (-) terminal of battery to avoid getting shocked or shorting the circuitry. It is probably a good practice. However, that would probably send the computer setting back to factory setting. Whatever, the car has learned from you or you have trained it is gone.
    Disconnecting the (-) is a command way to get settings back to factory. Same goes for changing the battery unless you use a parallel battery when replacing it.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you check the oil level yourself immediately after the service, before leaving the dealer? A severe overfill can reduce MPGs (and everyone should always check anyway, to find gross errors).

How often do you check tire pressures?