1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Noise Inside

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by socalheli, May 21, 2011.

1. socalheli

socalheli New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been a long time follower of the forum & am grateful for all of the info.

I have a strange waterfall noise coming from the passenger side of my Gen III, is this the battery cooling system? It just seems much louder than it should be. Anyone else notice this noise?

Thank You

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PC! There are so many possible noises that are legitimate to a hybrid. Can you be more specific as to where on the passenger's side this noise originates from?

3. socalheli

socalheli New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger side. it almost sounds like a plastic bag is stuck under the car.....the faster I go the louder it gets. Of course I looked for bags :)

4. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmmm - it is in the area of the cooling fan for the HV battery but it would not become incrementally louder as you pick up speed. Maybe it's something in the right rear wheel?

5. socalheli

socalheli New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like it is coming from the vents in the back seat, and it does seem to get louder....eventually it is drowned out by road noise.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a fan behind that vent that helps to cool down the HV battery as mentioned. Since it never gets hot up here I have never heard it. Hard to imagine that its speed would be incremental as oppose to say lo and high speeds. Perhaps something got caught in the vent hole?