1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Noise Just Started

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ML Diggs, May 31, 2010.

1. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 Prius has started making an unusual sound. At first I thought it was some kind of pump or something, but now???

When I put on the emergency brake, the brake pedal or when I put the car in park or take it out of park and put it in D, it makes a "chuck chuck chuck" sound, not high pitched, but not a low sound either. It seems to be coming from under the hood on the left side. It sounds something like a belt slipping or a pump with a squeak maybe?

It does not appear to make this noise when simply depressing the brake while driving, so I'm not sure it's the same abs actuator issue as described in a thread below.

I'm taking it in tomorrow, but I thought I would check here first to see if anyone can help me anticipate the problem or refer to some TSB.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    warranty?

3. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately not. I bought it with 64k and when they tried to sell me a warranty for almost 2k, I (perhaps foolishly) declined figuring I was unlikely to spend more than 2k on repairs before the warranty ran out. Of course, I had a 76 Corolla and an 89 Camry, so I'm afraid, now that I'm reading about the Brake Actuator issues, that I might have made a mistake on that one.

4. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

OH, one other thing: I feel like I heard it last week too, but it seemed very quiet, and now it is louder, but we also made a trip into higher elevations over the weekend (up to 5200 ft. above sea level) and it was louder, but now that we are back at 300', it is quieter and makes fewer "chirps" or "chucks"

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It looks like the problem occurred in less than a month after you bought the car. I think it should be under used car warranty, something like 3 month and 3K miles would be reasonable. I would check with the consumer protection agency of your state. Good luck! :)

6. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it is less than 3k miles or 3 months, but the car was an "as is" purchase. I tried to get them to give me a 3k, 3mo and they wouldn't, claiming that because they are a Nissan dealer, they didn't want to get into warrantying a different make. This is the first time I've ever bought a used car from a dealer. All other cars I've bought were from a private party, so my thinking was this: "AS IS" is what I'm used to.

I did register it for the CARFAX buyback guarantee, but I think that only covers things like unreported salvage or mileage manipulation. I have to re-read it.

All this begs the question: What might this be, how much might it cost, and how reliable is the car now? If it is the brake actuator issue, I might opt not to fix it unless I can get some consideration from them on the issue.

7. PriusMaximus

PriusMaximus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had the same problem with my '06 Prius, and it turned out to be the brake actuator. It started making the noise around 79,000 miles. The part was over 1800.00 and total repair came in around $2450.00. Needless to say, that car was traded for a 2010 Prius with an extended warranty.

1 person likes this.
  8. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And yet you are still PriusMaximus, so you must still love the Prius on principle I guess I shouldn't lose hope, although the reason I bought this is that I was sick of my Subaru having constant abs problems....but those only cost $300-500.

Any sign Toyota is going to own up to the faulty design of a piece that seems to fail prematurely and frequently and cost so much?

I'm looking into extended warranties...might spring for one afterall. In the meantime, does this problem seem to happen with 2008 and 2009's as well, or did they change that part. Maybe I'll sell it in a year or two and buy a newer one.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your problem is due to a noisy brake actuator pump (which is likely as the noise happens more frequently at higher elevations), don't expect help from Toyota if your car is out of the 3 year/36K mile warranty. The relevant TSB (T-SB-0307-08) says that there's no safety impact from the actuator producing this noise. I wouldn't spend four-digits just to get rid of the noise.

The TSB is applicable to 2004-2007 model years. However the 2008 and 2009 model years have not logged enough usage so that one could say for sure that the problem won't happen with those vehicles.

10. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Patrick. And, yes, it is still an IF, but yesterday it didn't make the noise at all (now that I'm near sea level). I'm thinking an extended warranty might not even cover it since the part is not technically "broken" but perhaps wearing quickly. I'm doing a wait and see on whether to go to the shop with it. Might just wait until the oil change in a few weeks. It's just a bitter pill to have such a "screwed up car sound" on such a new vehicle, but maybe I just have to get over my pride.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's kind of too bad you bought it from a Nissan dealer. I'm guessing you could leveraged Toyota or a Toyota Dealer into giving you some consideration on the cost of the repair. But Nissan isn't going to be very motivated.

I'm speculating that you paid less, declined an offer for a warranty and saved money upfront. But as often happens it might just even out anyway.

Good Luck with it, or just living with it.

12. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have it on my 09. Started around 20k. I also had my first winking headlight last week... :(

13. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be interested to know how many of these are occurring in places with signficant elevation changes. Mine has not made the noise since Monday. Two days near sea level seemed to resolve the main symptom. I go back up into the hills in a week or so, and I'm expecting it to come back.

Unfortunately, I can't stand the console look of the 2010, so I'll likely live with it until there is another design change. I guess I can console myself that I've saved 2k on gas and a newer model already.

14. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

So many of the ones at Toyota were Certified and 19k for package 3 etc, or were from back East, and I didn't see those as a good bargain, so I guess you're right. I'd rather pay 15k and have 4k for repairs if necessary ;-).

15. Steven Bodai

Steven Bodai New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2012 has what sounds like a similar noise. I have owned it since day 1 so its not something wearing out but something else. a quick restart usually stops the noise. this had happened about 5 times in 70K and not recently. Dealer acknowledged no known issue when i mentioned and described the noise. They were never able to duplicate but it happens so rarely that i can understand that part.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    def not high elevation.