1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange noise related to brakes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jendbbay, Jul 16, 2010.

1. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Mostly while negotiating in very crude camp ground roadways, we started to hear a new noise. This started before the incident I will be reporting in my third thread, so I do not attribute this noise to that incident. The noise seems to come from applying the brake when the car is already stopped or nearly stopped. Its a bit of a chirp, but it is a low-throated chirp. It think they come in twos, "chirp, chirp." Any ideas?

2. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Maybe just the brake grabbing? I occasionally have this and have always thought it harmless. Maybe braking in neutral to remove rust will help. Good luck! :)

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As an aside be very careful offroad; better not to at all. The Prius has little ground clearance.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I had the same thing happen to me in my 2009 several months ago after repeated moderate braking at high altitude. It was a chirp, but it sound electronic and it would occur when lightly depressing the brake pedal just as I would start to press down. I assume it was related to either altitude or heating.

6. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could you be hearing the Hill Start Assist feature? Does the Gen2 have HSA?