1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange noise that turned out funny

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by auricchio, Apr 2, 2006.

1. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As a 48-hour Prius owner, I'm learning about all the sounds this space-shuttle vehicle makes. I already know about the brake accumulator (thanks, DanMan, for a perfect description of its fish tank pump sound!)

I was puzzled by a short drag-scrape sound that occasionally happened during acceleration from a full stop. It sounded like it was coming from the driver's rocker-panel area, probably below the door. I assumed it was a normal sound that I'd later learn about.

Today I found out what it was. A 500ml water bottle is too tall for the door pocket, so it can't quite stand vertically; its top touches the panel above the pocket. The bottle would sometimes tilt forward during a stop, then tilt back on acceleration. The bottle cap was dragging along the door panel, making that scraping noise.

Solution: I laid the bottle down in the pocket.

2. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ::making a note to not put tall bottles in door side bottle holder thingie when my prius arrives::

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yep, it's true. Many of the more interesting - and difficult to locate - noises have been non-car items banging or rattling around. The ones I can remember off the top of my head include:
    - glasses in the glasses holder
    - coins in the tray orin the bottom of the center console
    - pens and/or pensils in the under-radio storage