1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange occurrences in quotes within threads

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by JimboK, Aug 14, 2007.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In at least two different threads this morning ...

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=37265&st=20 (posts 31 & 32)
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=37268&hl= (post 7)

... there are legitimate quotes from previous posts within the threads with the quoted user name changed to something other than that of who authored the quoted post. The changed user names, though different in each post, all make a less-than-flattering reference to one of our moderators. The posts that contain the quotes are authored by two different active and credible (to me, anyway) members, so it wouldn't seem as though they are responsible. Has a hacker found a way to dynamically (or otherwise) change the user name in a quoted post??

In case they dynamically change again, to document the occurrence here is a screen shot of one them:

[attachmentid=10627]

Attached Files:

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboKfromVA @ Aug 14 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]495280[/snapback]</div>
    I think we can type extra words in the quote header, something like...
    quote name='JimboKfromVA'

Ken@Japan

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is an explanation on why this happens.

A troll registers a username.
    Troll posts offensive messages.
    People feed the troll with the trolls quoted text in the new message.
    Troll gets banned and original posts deleted.
    Quoted text remains in the replys to the troll.

Make a long story short DONT FEED THE TROLLS!!

If you quote a troll that quoted text does not get deleted when the original troll post gets deleted. Yeah I know it sounds strange but the way the post system works with this board it is kind of difficult to remove quoted text from a banned user as you cant verify %100 the quoted text trully came from a certain user. For an example I will quote you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 14 2007, 05:33 AM) [snapback]495280[/snapback]</div>
    Now when can I pick up my new car? :D

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ah-hah, Jay explains it. The quoted text seemed innocent enough and, therefore, legit, so I didn't bother to look for the original quoted messages. Duh! Apparently in this case the user names themselves are what triggered the deletions, rather than the text of the messages. My chronic malady, "delayed intelligence," strikes again.

Of course, those who quote the trolls can edit the offending quotes out of their posts ... hint, hint. I wish more folks would follow your advice about not feeding them.

And you quoted me wrong. The asking price is $2. :p

5. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 14 2007, 05:06 AM) [snapback]495290[/snapback]</div>
    I agree.

I certainly shouldn't have fed the troll.

What I hadn't realized yet when I posted my response is, it wasn't just the username. This individual was leaving threatening messages to other members and signed up with multiple new usernames yeasterday in an attempt to avoid being banned. The particular message I responded to and quoted wasn't especially trollish, and I hadn't realized yet what was going on or that it would be deleted, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time.

While I won't go and research the posting history of every member I ever respond to, I will certainly be more careful about responding to messages if the username seems odd.

6. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found