1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

strange prius noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JCPrius, Nov 24, 2007.

1. JCPrius

JCPrius Junior Member

07' prius, less than 1500 mile on it. I was on Interstate this morning going about 60-70 mph and when I was about to slow down to pass a toll booth, I started to hear a strange, high-pitch noise that may be coming from the front of passenger side. After passing the toll booth I heard the noise again. It was consistent and sounded as if something metal was scratching my car. I pulled over and stop the engine and started again and the noise was gone!

any idea what this might be?

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be the brake pump. Try sitting stationary and with the HSD in ready mode press the brake pedal a few time and see if you hear it then. If that is the noise it's normal otherwise see your dealer soon.

3. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Normal? I'm having similar problems. -Almost 15,000miles on an '07. -Metal on metal scraping sound. Another thread led me to a Technical Service Bulletin BR001-07 regarding the Brake Actuator Assembly. While it does not affect the brake system performance it is not normal. They suggest bleeding the brake system. If that doesn't work, then the Brake Actuator Assembly must be replaced. The repair is covered by the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Also, a small stone lodged against the brake rotor can make a terrible noise! Before you go bleeding the brake system, check to make sure there are no foreign objects hitting the rotor. When the OP stopped, the pebble could have fallen out.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok sorry I am unable from the description to determine how loud the noise or the exact frequency so take it to your friendly dealer.