1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange Screen info showing up on monitor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mark1154, Nov 2, 2013.

1. mark1154

mark1154 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Recently we've been seeing a steady Energy Consumption screen showing up on our monitor, even when we change the screen to another screen. It fluctuates between green, yellow, and red arrows pointing from the engine and around the screen. The red lines do not show up other than during excelleration. There is no other notice of any possible problem on the dashboard readout. Any clues??

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pics would help! Go for a drive bring a passenger to work the camera!

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The energy arrow screen is where I leave mine all the time. It sounds normal. What happens when you press the "Info"button on the steering wheel? There is an option in the menus to automatically change screens back to the Energy screen after a time limit. Perhaps the setting got changed.

4. mark1154

mark1154 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

IMG_1685.jpg

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That is the default (normal) screen that most people use on the Prius.
    Red arrows show the engine is running using fuel to drive the car they may also go to the battery showing the engine is recharging the battery.
    Yellow arrows from the battery show there is some electrical assist from the battery to drive the car.
    Green arrows going back to the battery with no arrows from the engine shows energy being saved (regen) when you take your foot off the accelerator or when braking. All normal operation.

John (Britprius)

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah it looks normal to me too (expect on my screen the "red" is more orange). The only question mark is why it's suddenly popping up all the time when it was not doing so previously.

I always leave mine in this screen anyway, but I thought it was the default behavior for it to come back to this screen in about 10 seconds after using the audio or climate control screens.

Mark, are you sure you haven't just hit the "consumption" button on the bottom of this screen and accidentally toggled it from the "5 minute fuel consumption bars" that pehaps you previously has as your default screen?

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As others are saying, the screen with the arrows is the default screen. There is a option that can be adjusted to turn off the default screen and cause the MFD to stay at the last screen selected. Possibly someone has changed the setting back to default. Long story short, the MFD is operating normally in the default mode.

8. mark1154

mark1154 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll check all that out. I really appreciate the input from all of you. I didn't want to send my wife out with her car if something was wrong. I also didn't want to have to pay for an expensive diagnostic at the dealers when they tell me there's nothing wrong.

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mark, what exactly were you previously seeing before this screen became the norm? Was it the "bar graph" screen that shows the MPG in five minute intervals.

10. mark1154

mark1154 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes!

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If all you are trying to do is get back to the 5 minute bar graph, simply push the button "Consumption" in the bottom left of the screen. That will change it back.