1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

strange SKS behavior - battery issue or user error?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Katrina O, May 17, 2015.

1. Katrina O

Katrina O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having an interesting experience with my SKS fob (I'm a new owner). The first time I use my car each day - and sometimes after I've been away from it for a while as well - it doesn't seem to respond to the SKS to unlock the door. Won't even unlock with the buttons on the FOB, I have to take out the key. When this happens I sometimes have to put the FOB in the slot to start the car, sometimes (more often) not. However every time I enter the car (and am inside, before starting her up) I see an icon on my display that is a red car with a vertical key on it. I have been unable to locate a glossary in the owner's manual that explains the meaning of this icon.

My understanding is that the black rubber button on the door handle is for *locking* the door but not unlocking it (the salesman at the dealership - not Toyota, though he owns a Prius - told me it unlocked it, but I haven't found that to be true and the manual said otherwise).

There are times the SKS works to open the door, though it seems to be pretty finicky. Even when it works it is seldom immediate. Doesn't seem dependent on the location of the FOB - at least the behavior is inconsistent even with the FOB in the same place. Thinking it might be a battery issue, but quite possible it's user error of some sort.

thank you!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's a battery issue

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you just put your hand on the handle to unlock it. do you have two fobs?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That means that the car is having trouble picking up the fob signal.

Your understanding is correct regarding the black squarish button on the front door handles.

Replace the CR2032 battery in the fob. Also try your other fob and see if the issue persists. You may need to replace the batteries in both fobs.

What, you don't have a second fob? Then you need to make arrangements with your local dealer to purchase a second Smart fob (with the silver Toyota emblem) and have your car programmed to recognize it, now. If you lose the one fob it will probably cost you four-digits to have the dealer create a new master fob for your car. With an existing fob in hand, it will "only" cost you in the low-three digits to have a second fob made.

5. Katrina O

Katrina O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, purchased car used, no 2nd fob. Not about to pay even in the 3 digits ... was looking at a forum yesterday that talked about reprogramming used fobs to work with your car, that seems like the thrifty way to go. Not sure where to go to get one that doesn't have that 128- use limit though. Suggestions?

Interesting about that icon. I had suspected as much, although the car will start 95% of the time without putting the fob in the slot. I guess it's just an advanced warning system of sorts. Will be looking at some instructions I just saw on this forum for getting battery out, since it definitely isn't an intuitive process (and I'm pretty decent with gadgets generally).

6. Katrina O

Katrina O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That only works some of the time in my case. Looks like, as others have said, I need a new battery.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It'll be cheaper to buy a new fob and program yourself vs buying a used fob and having someone reseed your car to make it work.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully just a fob battery, but if that doesn't work, look to the 12 volt.

9. Katrina O

Katrina O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    according to the posts I read, you can buy a used one and do a funky procedure (involving inserting/extracting fob from slot, opening/closing driver's door etc) to program it to work for your car. Unclear as to whether the SKS could be programmed to work, but if not that's not critical if it saves significant $ (I'm on a tight budget).

what is cost of new fob? is the programming procedure the same as the one I read re reprogramming an old fob?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A new fob online will be around $115, plus or minus a few bucks. With a new fob, you can program it yourself and retain sks functions.........and that sks function is the best feature of the prius. Never have to take your fob out of your purse or pocket again.

A used fob will cost you$50. Not worth it

11. Katrina O

Katrina O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so is that "chicken dance" I read about (which people were using to reprogram used fobs) the same one I need to use for programming a new fob? Hope I can find the thread again ...

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Search, how to program sks key. There's 2 parts to programming a new key, 1 part for slot operation, 1 part for sks operation.

If you bought a used key and only want to use it to start the car, you would do 1 of the 2 parts

Katrina O likes this.
  13. Katrina O

Katrina O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone. Replaced the battery and the sks works better than ever (even when it was working ok a few days ago, the lights weren't turning on when I approached the car - now they do). Will be looking into getting another fob soon.

14. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    That flashing icon (with the car off) is letting you know that the car's immobilizer is working. Perfectly normal. Now, go get yourself a 2nd fob...

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, see post #4.

16. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Oops, my bad. I was thinking of the red car icon with a lock. I don't think the Gen III has the icon for a bad fob battery.

17. Katrina O

Katrina O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I think I was mistaken about the appearance of the icon. It is a red car, with a VERTICAL key inside it. Not horizontal. Still happening, even after fob battery replaced. Nowhere in the manual does it explain the meaning, arrrrrgh. The manual doesn't mention an icon for a bad fob battery either that I could see (I think I remember reading about some warning beeps, but don't remember the details). And Toyota's website doesn't have info on warning lights for the 2008 model year.

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about providing a sharp photo of the icon so that there is no question about what you are seeing.

19. Katrina O

Katrina O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's flashing, so hard to capture!!

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model: