1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

strange sticker "statement" under the hood RE: Warranty Testing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Sep 25, 2015.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never noticed this strange "from the factory" sticker under the hood until this afternoon as I was lying on my back taking off the oil filter.

On the passenger underside of the hood is a "stock sticker" that reads:

None of the performance warranty tests of 40 CFR part 85 subpart W is to be performed.

Grammar aside, I found this a bit strange. Do all the Prius models have this and what does it "mean"

I did poke around a bit on Google, and it seems to be some sort of exemption from emissions requirement, but an average person, taking it at face value could easily assume something more sinister.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    cyberpriusII likes this.
  3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Jim.

The link you posted was actually much clearer (does that make sense) than the information I found when I poked around. So, essentially, it just means (I assume) that hybrid vehicles (or the Prius GEN II, anyway) are exempt from these tests.

But when the sticker says performance warranty tests should not be done, it can seem to some of us who have little in the way of "vehicle smarts" a bit strange!