1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strange whirring sound coming from rear offside wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MotorisedRollinghams, Apr 30, 2018.

1. MotorisedRollinghams

MotorisedRollinghams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been the proud owner of a 2004 Toyota Prius since January. Full service history, bought from a relatively reputable dealer. This forum helped me a lot when I was dopey enough to run the battery down shortly after buying it. Today I need help with a new potential problem...

Recently it has developed a strange whirring sound on the rear offside wheel, like a quiet "whooosh...whooosh...whooosh" while inside the car. It is slightly more noticable outside the car.

Any ideas what might be wrong? What should I look at to diagnose this problem?

2. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Brake indicator rubbing on worn out rear brakes.

3. MotorisedRollinghams

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've listened to videos of the brake indicator and I don't think that's the right sound. I think it might be that a the wheel bearing is worn. Does that sounds like a possibility to you?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, or a bad tire. move the tires around to eliminate that possibility.
    also could just be something stuck in there, open her up and have a good look. turn the wheel to see if you hear anything. are they discs in back?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yup and that was my first thought. Prius are known for wheel bearing issues. After driving it for a good bit, carefully touch the center portion of that wheel and compare to the other side. It's not an expensive fix but shop around.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Feeling for unusually hot wheels I'd assume?

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, the center cap portion in particular.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. MotorisedRollinghams

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the long delay but I've been on holiday. I took the car to a mechanic. He has diagnosed it as corroded brake discs. He wanted to replace all the brake discs but quoted a very high price - nearly £600.

I am interested in car mechanics so I want to consider doing this myself. First I will get the car back and confirm his diagnosis by taking the wheels off and having a look around with a torch. Then I'll order parts and get a family member to help me do the job. My haynes manual is inside the car so I don't know what the requirements are right but based on some googling I think I'll need to replace the brake pads when I replace the brake discs. I don't have space or tools where I live (urban area) so I'll have to take it to a DIY mechanics where they lend you the space and the tools.

Does this sound like a sane plan?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm a little skeptical, thinking it might still be the bearings. First step as you say, would be to have a look for yourself. With the wheel raised, even before removal, turning it might help pinpoint the sound. Maybe @Patrick Wong , @edthefox5, @JC91006, @ChapmanF or other savvy sages can comment.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the problem is due to rusty discs, it may be possible to "sand" off the discs by getting the car up to 50 mph or so on a road with no traffic behind you, then shift to N and apply the brakes moderately, to slow the car down to a slow speed, then accelerate back up to 50 mph, shift into N, apply the brakes, etc. The point of shifting to N is to force the friction brakes to operate instead of relying mostly upon regenerative braking. A light coat of rust can be removed after applying the brakes a few times.