1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Streaming music via BT

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by maggieddd, Dec 19, 2007.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Is it possible to stream music via BT from a cell phone to my car speakers? I mean it doesn't work for me. But what I don't understand is that when I have an incoming call I hear my ringtone through the speakers but when I try to play the same ringtone directly from the music player on my cell phone I don't get any sound. I have a choice of switching the stream between the phone and BT when I switch it to phone it plays through the phone's speakers, when I switch back to BT I get nothing. Anybody know if this is possible?

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, you can't. The Prius does not support A2DP for music playback.

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

thanks. That's stupid though, cause I can play the same ringtone when the phone rings

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

BIG difference. The bit rate is extremely reduced from the phone and in mono.

5. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might be able to find an A2DP compatible stereo bluetooth headphones receiver that the headphones actually have to plug into the receiver, that way you just toss the headphones (won't need them) and you can put the bluetooth stereo receiver in the center console of your '06 or newer Prius, plug the audio jack into the AUX jack inside the console and use a 12V power adapter to keep it powered when the car is on. That should get you streaming bluetooth... I'm not sure if this one specifically would work, but something similar should be able to do the job:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875156001

Looks like it's powered by a USB cable or AC adapter... obviously the AC adapter is out of the question but the USB would be easy enough with one of these:
    http://www.extremepda.com/XPDACLADAPT.html

I just came across this one, actually meant for this kind of job. It includes a 12V power adapter and not battery powered (meaning it's only on when the car is on) and will automatically pair with your phone when it is on. Only problem is that I haven't found anywhere to buy it from, and all links when searching for it seem to turn up at UK sites:
    http://www.anycom.com/products/blue...iver/?id=102&partno=CC3319&tab=technical_data

There has to be a good device out there fit for the job at a reasonable price, it's just a simple 12V powered A2DP bluetooth stereo receiver with a 3.5mm audio jack on it. If you really wanted to you could probably crack open any set of bluetooth stereo headphones and frankenstein the thing with a 3.5mm jack on it to plug directly into your AUX jack in the console and wire up the circuitry with a 12V plug.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're assuming that his car is 06 or above and has a Aux jack.

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

thanks, but I have an '05 Prius

8. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When A2DP came out I experimented with BT sunglasses and headphones linked to iPods using BT transmitters. The big problem is that A2DP compresses and degrades sound quality to the point its unusable for music. It was ok for podcasts and low fi stuff.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    nope Prius needs to support the protocol in stereo for you to be happy. newer phones verizon offers has that... but that only provides half the solution. the Prius needs to receive in stereo. now there are portable BT stereo speakers with lineout jack... dont have one personally, (use ipod) but if you can hook to MP3 jack....

to be honest with ya... its easy to see that carrying one device is nice... but my phone has stereo BT capability, MP3 etc... but never considered using it...i guess i spent too much on my ipods (i have 4) to stop using them now