1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strong 2-3 shudders when ICE turns off at stop?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by yossi, Jun 12, 2022.

1. yossi

yossi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Usually when a stop at a light and the ICE turns off it’s very smooth and barely noticeable. Sometimes though it turns off with a very strong shudder, sometimes 2-3 shudders while turning off. No lights on dash

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's trying to find the point for the next start up. could be any part of that system is starting to malfunction.
    how many miles on her?

3. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Do you get a similar shudder when parked and engine kicks in for battery charging?

4. yossi

yossi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. Never. Only when shutting down

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perfectly normal... It's the nature of the atkinson engine and Toyota did spend some time modifiying the intake manifold to make this less severe on cold engines in Gen3: Rough engine start | Page 13 | PriusChat

And in that same thread in link above is best explanation of the problem:

"I can duplicate the rough start problem by starting the car when cold, moving it a few feet or just letting the car idle for a few seconds, then shut it down. I thinks what's happening is unburned fuel is left inside the cold cylinders and injectors and it has a hard time clearing it out when you go to start it the next time. I had several other non-hybrid cars that would experience rough starts too because the injectors /cylinders still have cold unburned fuel in them under same circumstances. It only lasts a few seconds and everything if fine afterwards. I'm wondering if the Atkinson cycle of the valves also make it sound worse than it really is?"

Got my Prius with this intermittent problem with 104K miles on it a decade ago and now it's getting close to 280K miles and still no signs of trouble. Suspect previous owner saw this issue as a reason to move on from the car, as it was the only thing wrong with a car that was kept in almost perfect condition in the first 5 years of its life.

#5 PriusCamper, Jun 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    Catherine Kourouklis likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Would I be right in guessing that it happens after you've been driving for about 5-15 minutes? It sounds like you're in stage 3 of the warm up cycle. There's a point in the Gen 2 warmup cycle where it shuts off in a ragged sort of way and then, once it off and you're waiting at the light, you feel an occasional very gentle little nudge. It was really spooky with my '05 till I found out what it was.

Attached Files: