1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strut dust boots necessary?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Wisco, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick question for anyone who has an opinion..

While mounting my winter tires I noticed the plastic boots protecting the shaft on my front struts are in tatters.

I expected to find replacement boots with a slit down the length that would easily slide on and be held by some sort of zip tie. Instead the only ones I find are tubes that require disconnecting the strut to slide the boot down.

Are these dust boots worth my time? The struts seems fine (look good, passed the bounce test). I can slice a pair of boots to slide them on, but maybe I should save the $30.

Car is a 2002 with 166k. I'm not sure of the age of the struts.

2. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are there to stop dirt and stuff getting down into the shock itself and therefore prolonging its life. If it was my car, I'd replace them if they were shot

3. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wold bet that over 50% of the older cars on the road have torn strut dust boots. They are there to keep debris off but really do not help to much to prolong. In my opinion if the strut was operating how you like it and that was the only reason you would disassemble the strut for I would not do it. Mine are also all torn up on the Prius I just purchased but my struts are also all shot I think and at 140,000 may be the original so I will be looking at replacing when and if I do them.
    TomK

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For a car that OLD, I wouldn't worry about it. If and when the struts "shocks" go, I'd replace them then.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The bounce test is useless.
    Your front struts are definitely worn out at 166K miles, if original.
    I suggest replacing the boots when the struts are replaced. Good luck.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My advice is as tempting as it is, don't take short cuts.

My old Honda Accord needed new struts and boots, creaked like an old sailing ship going over speed bumps.

I agree that at 166K miles it's probably time to replace, and whether needed or not, I'd throw the extra $30 in the pot and get the boots.

7. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does not sound like he wants to replace the struts, just was wondering about the dust boots being torn to pieces.
    Unless he has owned the car for awhile and knows the history, for all he know the struts have been replaced twice already. If it just your boots, let it ride.
    Opinion worth price charged.
    TomK

8. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    Thanks for weighing in. After I posted the question I thought "why am I bothering folks on priuschat to ask if I can avoid fixing my car". But I'm glad I did.

It seems that if I'm concerned about the long term longevity of my struts I should fix the boots.

If I'm not concerned about getting every last mile out of struts that might already be going out, I should forget about the darn things.

I'm in the first category, so I'm going to do something about them. Apparently you can't buy slip-on boots that can be installed without pulling the strut. I'm certainly not going to pull my struts, so next time the ice melts I'm going to patch them up and try to resecure the boots to the struts. It won't last forever, but it will keep the gravely slush out.

Thanks again.

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 15 year old Mazda MPV with the same problem. I just cut away the residue of the boots.

The reason they don't sell the split boot is that, while desirable, the boots do not directly affect the function of the hydraulic cylinder.

Ride on, forget them, and replace them with the hydraulics when you need to.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  10. Coots

Coots Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So much misinformation in this thread.

Yes, they help prolong the life of the strut. Just an example, but think of the minerals from rain water that can affect the strut shaft. Tiny sand and dust particles. If they didn't matter, Toyota would not have included them in the first place. Can you get away without replacing them? Probably. Will the life of your strut be reduced? I guess you'll never know one way or the other. But they DO help to protect the strut shaft from debris, dust, and sediment.

No, they are not. They are only worn out when they fail, or on their way to failure (leaking, getting softer over rebound and/or compression, etc). I had a 96 accord with 225,000 miles and the struts we perfect.
    My 2010 Prius struts have lasted 229k miles, until the front driver strut failed, leaking fluid. The rest are just fine.