1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Strut problem due to cold weather?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Henry V, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Henry V

Henry V New Member

Our 2006 Prius has recently been a rough ride. On recent trips the car bounces and sometimes there is a creaking "click - click" sounds from the right front. To me this seems like a bad strut (happened in another vehicle). In the cold (that's -10 to-30F), there is no give or bounce when pushing down on the front end. At night, you can definitely see the lights bouncing and on the right road the car can really get in a rythm. If the car is parked in a warm garage the problem is not evident.

The car is just 12 months old and has 35,000+ miles. We took it to the dealer for the first time today for a general inspection and told them of the problem. They apparently went through the suspension and could not find anything wrong. The tires need to be replaced but I do not think they are the primary cause of this problem.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem in cold climates?

I am going to follow up with a letter to the dealer given this problem became evident prior to the end of the warranty. Any other advice?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sounds like a strut to DH as well. you might not see leakage from a bad strut that's got an internal click. so it might not be evident just by looking.

probably best to get them to do the strut and the strut top just to be sure the whole thing's taken care of. insist they do it because it really does sound like a bad strut.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh Strut problem - I thought the subject was Stud problem due to cold weather. I was going to say I have that sometimes. :unsure:

Tom

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I happily paid extra for heated underground parking at my condo, now you know why.

Here's a thought: is snow/ice buildup physically preventing suspension movement? A few years ago I was driving my GMC Sierra through about 60 miles of slushy roads, then encountered much colder temps. After 20 miles, it felt as if the axles were welded directly to the frame.

I stopped and inspected. The slush had frozen in the wheelwells preventing any suspension movement. Eventually I got to a town with a carwash, and spent 20 minutes with the wand trying to knock off the ice. After that everything seemed fine.

If I recall, it was the only event I actually couldn't blame on GM.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Feb 15 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]390796[/snapback]</div>
    I hear you, brother