1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Struts, springs, sway bars and other stuff

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by terramir, Nov 12, 2016.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Folks,
    Money is usually very tight (on disability) for me so I need to be very careful about the purchases I make so excuse the long thread
    I posted here b4 on this subject, but my thread got highjacked by a dude with a snapped wheel bolt and well the thread is about five months old.
    Got more specific questions as well. Because got some more exp. With my car.
    #1 Do worn shocks have anything to do with height off the ground or is that just the springs, cause I ground out on drive ways and those parking cement blocks.
    Seeing if I should replace the springs too, after all this is a 13 year old car (04 born Oct '03)

#2 does anyone have experience with sensen struts I have been reading the forums and there are good and bad reviews. It's a 220 buck difference for all four vs. kyb on eBay.

#3 people talked in my previous thread about replacing the sway bars with ones from Corolla or Matrix which years bolt on to the '04 Prius and how much of an improvement can I expect?

#4 seems like there is a difference between the '04 and the 05-09 and a difference between the 04-06 and the 07-09 touring in shocks and struts. Would struts made for the 07-09 touring still bolt in without having to mod it?

#5 that Tanaka (?) tower bar does that really make much of a difference, how difficult is it to install and does any1 here have a used one for sale and do those bars wear out?

#6 those links that are on the front can one get aftermarket bushings ? Actually what bushings should be replaced on 13 yrs old prius?
    #7 I was looking at some threads about tires and the Altimax RT43, seem to be superior in all weather handling than most of the LRR's especially ones in the low to mid price range and still rival on fuel economy. Considering the price difference I mean the only ones I found cheaper than these were the ecopia 422 (non-plus) and those dun get good handling grades. Anyone that has real life experience please chime in.

#8 while I got 2 new dents in my door I am getting a check for it that will be going into four new tires struts , some modules to improve my HV battery some more and some over due bills, I want to be thrifty but I want to get my car in ship shape. So I need as much info as I can get b4 I make decisions on my repairs and cheap upgrades.

Thanks in advance for all your opinions and data, the more the merrier ;-)
    terramir

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    1) Shocks will have very small effect on ride height as they are gas charged. Maybe something like 0.5…1cm or about 1/4”…1/2”. But more important than that shocks will make it harder for suspension to travel. And as your suspension doesn’t bounce up and down as much there’s less change for bottoming out on something.

3) Corolla E12 2002…2008 (In USA and Europe). Matrix 2003…2008.

Rear:
    Rear antiroll bar is slightly stronger than the one on Touring Prius. And Touring Prius has slightly stronger than the one on normal Prius. So for non-Touring you should get a noticeable difference from standard Corolla/Matrix rear anti roll bar. You can get very strong aftermarket ones for rear. Rear one is very easy to install.

Front:
    Standard Corolla/Matrix is a lot stronger than the one on Prius. Front one is somewhat hard to install.

Remember that balance between antiroll bars effects handling a lot so if you install aftermarket rear bar install the Corolla/Matrix front one.

4) You can install any of those if you install the whole coilover. I don’t know if you can mix springs, shocks, and spring mounts between the different versions.

5) I don’t really think that would make noticeable difference in a Prius. Structure there doesn’t look that bad from the factory. Those short of braces shouldn’t wear at all.

#2 valde3, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    used corolla bars are definitely the budget way to better handling.

if you look around you may find kyb struts for a decent price. I think most manufacturers only make 1 strut for all '03-'09 prius; no special touring units.

I'd skip the end links unless they're loose.

205/60 tires help with handling too.

4. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah but one question is the springs, considering I ground out on those little concrete blocks in the parking lot, my tires might be partly to blame but it's not like a driveway where there is bounce.
    Another factor here is mpg if I use 205/60 R15 they are wider so more friction, that won't do cause less mpg.
    Still need more opinions and knowledge,
    People please chime in.
    terramir

5. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    these cars all hit the parking blocks. I have 16" wheels and still hit em if I don't stop early. I'm running 215/55r16 tires and the mfd reads 50 mpg. so if you get LRR 205/60r15 and keep em inflated to 40 psi, you'll be fine.

6. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Search "Prius Firestone Coil-rite Air Helper Springs" in Google.

Bill the Engineer

7. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looked for the prius coil rite could only find rear ones for '10-'15
    And 50 mpg well I am shooting for more but I do not know if I will be able to even get that.
    Was thinking of the rt43's people say better things about them than even the better official lrr options. also the odometer will be off. But wider and slightly bigger tires could be an advantage.
    terramir

8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  9. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I could still use more info and opinions
    terramir

10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    actually the speedo reads a couple mph fast, so slightly taller tires will make it more accurate

11. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Question here is this, would broader tires reduce gas milage. But anyways what would be a good rev per mile for an accurate speedometer.
    terramir

12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    wider tires will reduce mpg, but with 205/60R15 yokohamas on my '04 I got about 52 mpg in summer. with 215/55R16's I'm getting 50. but I found the 185's sucked for cornering and I didn't get any more than 52 with GY integrity 185's. so if you get LRR 205's your mileage probably won't be noticeably lower than with most all 185's, but you will notice a big difference in traction for sure. and a lot of us do run 40psi in the tires, which helps mpg too.

13. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I decided on the true contact 185's cause they had the best mix of handling and fuel efficiency, plus a 90k warranty. I know that dun mean much, but heck even if I get 65k I'm around the 250k mark on my car. But new KYB shocks and struts are on the list as well as a trip to the junk yard to get the corolla or matrix sway bars.
    terramir

14. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well gonna go to pick a part and pull some corolla sway bars, but curious anyone got experience replacing the bushings with those polyurethane ones there are lots on eBay for like about 20 for the front I do not know about the rear. And the front ones also come with new bushings for the links.
    terramir

15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don’t think that front sway bar bushes make a big difference. There are not any bushes on rear sway bar. Rubber part in the middle is just for anti-rattle.

If you’re going for standard Corolla/Matrix say bar in the back you might not need the one on the front. Besides reducing the rolling in the corners thicker front sway bar will increase understeer.
    -Increasing the rear sway bar from standard Prius to standard Corolla/Matrix will reduce body roll and understeer.
    -Increasing both front and rear sway bars from standard Prius to standard Corolla/Matrix will reduce body roll but probably keep the understeer pretty much the same as standard Prius. And standard Prius probably already has more understeer than Touring model.

16. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    before I put the front corolla bar on, with only the rear progress bar installed, it really felt like it wanted to spin out if I hit a corner fast. I expect having just a rear corolla bar won't oversteer as much, but the front bar really made a huge difference, and when I had better tires (LRR ecopias are not good handling tires IMHO) the car had very neutral handling with both bars replaced.