1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stuck CD

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ricksprius, Jul 11, 2010.

1. ricksprius

ricksprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    About a week after I got my Package III, I put in a CD. I noticed that for some reason it did not list the tracks. I thought it odd, but figured it had to do with the CD track listing.

Since I almost always use my iPod, I didn't bother taking out the CD. Tried ejecting it last week and it won't come out. The player churns like it's trying to eject it, but won't.

Obviously I'll take it to the dealer when I can, or wait for my next service, but any ideas how to get it out? I don't want to put another CD in there and try "Eject All".

Has this happened to anyone else.

BTW, the stuck CD plays fine.

Thanks!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmm. Interesting.
    When you put it in, it didn't list the songs, got stuck plays fine now, and won't eject? Odd.

Since you're planning on taking it to the dealer anyway, I would try inserting a second CD and then eject all. Just make sure it's a CD you don't care much about - like one you borrow from your neighbor. Originally, I was going to say, "put in a blank CD just to fill a slot and then eject them" but if that didn't work you would have to explain to the dealer why there's a blank CD in the stereo.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think I would go ahead and put a blank in and see what it does. If it gets stuck too and the guy at the dealer says anything he could just say it's one he recorded himself - or he could say some guy on PC told him to do it. :eek:

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than pressing the eject button, I wouldn't try to fix it myself.

The fact that it's malfunctioning now when the car is so new is a very bad sign.

I would take it into the dealer. They probably will not fix it. Instead they'll put in a whole new unit, which would otherwise cost you $1500 or more.

And if you ever have problems with the CD Radio in the future while you're still under warranty, I would bring it into the dealer immediately.

Several of us Gen II owners have had problems with the CD Radio. The most frequent problem seems to be that the CD will not eject and/or the eject and other CD Radio buttons will not work. Here's one thread (there are others):

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-audio-electronics/62693-radio-buttons-failing.html

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed. These type of malfunctions typically don't cure themselves, and are expensive to fix (i.e. replace head unit).

6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ...however, if you want to try to get your CD back and reproduce the issue with a less valuable one when you take it to the dealer, you can try the trick I learned for laptops with slot-loading optical drives: Try to see where the disk is getting caught, typically either on the top or the bottom of the bezel. Then poke a business card angled up into the slot just a bit; it'll help direct the CD out the slot on its way out. No need to poke it in very far, a half centimeter should do. You're just trying to make sure that the CD doesn't poke straight into the flat plastic edge surrounding the slot.

No guarantee it'll work (I've had to resort to taking such drives apart and using needlenose pliers to forcibly retrieve the irretrievable), but it's a relatively safe thing to try.

7. ricksprius

ricksprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wasn't able to get a business card in at all. However, I have been able to eject that CD. I first hit "Load" that seemed to rotate the changer (I guess...), and then I hit Eject All and the cd came out.

I've since been able to put the CD back in and get it out the same way. Tomorrow morning I'll try with a different CD and see if the track listing comes up.

Nonetheless, I am making an appointment to bring it in next week.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!

8. ricksprius

ricksprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So last night I took out 3 cds. None of them stuck, but only 1 of them showed the song tracks.

The one that showed tracks is old- from the 90's and then others are newer issues of older albums. The one that got stuck with no track info is a 2010 album from an artist. So I am very surprised that no tracks show up.

Does any one here have issues with CD song tracks showing up?

9. Guy in WNY

Guy in WNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In my 2007, the track info seldom shows up. I just figure it depends on the CD maker and if that info is on the disc in the correct formatt?
    FYI.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Occasionally. Sometimes the CD plays just fine, othertimes it won't play at all. Sometimes I can here the player sound like it's trying to read it but can't.

11. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    With MP3 CDs, I get track info all the time.

With store bought CDs, it's hit-and-miss (more miss than hit). Usually I just get track1, track2, etc.

Same experience with my previous car (BMW)--it's not the car, it what info is included when manufacturing the CD.

Regarding the stuck CD issue, if it were me, before going to the dealer I'd insert CDs and hope one gets stuck, then leave it in. Nothing more frustrating than going to the dealer and getting the "can't duplicate issue" response.

12. ricksprius

ricksprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't even get Track1, Track2...I get [NO DATA]

I've tried 4 CDs, only one of which displayed track data. Wish I could remember if my 2003 displayed track data. I mostly use my iPhone but feel the HU should work properly for the premium.

Thanks for your input!

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, someone here (I think it was TonyPSchaefer) had a good suggestion to address this issue:

If something isn't working right, it would be a good idea to take a quick video showing it not working, and bring the video with you when you go to the dealer for service. This is especially important for intermittent malfunctionings and when you're looking to get stuff fixed under warranty.

14. dwhutch

dwhutch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In order for the song, artist and album title to be displayed you need to have a CD-Text file on the CD. Google CD-Text you will find it isn't used too much because mp3 systems have overtaken audio track CD's. You can burn copies of your CD's with software (NERO etc.) that supports CD-Text. It will read the track info and create the CDTEXT file needed. It worked for me.

15. ricksprius

ricksprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Took my car in today and they are going to replace the entire HU. They basically told me there was nothing they can do about the crappy FM reception. so we'll see if any CD's get stuck in the new unit.

It's on order and they will call me when it is in.

16. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Rick, any resolve yet?

1 person likes this.