1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

stuck with my prius... mp3 mod??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by lazyleo, Jan 3, 2007.

1. lazyleo

lazyleo New Member

Hello everybody, I bought a 2004 base prius a couple years ago. I had to have a new car in a hurry and it was the last vestige of my good credit before my wife ran off, I got a divorce, and ran into financial problems. Wow, what a year 2006 was! Anyways, I didn't really like the car to begin with, but I needed something with good gas mileage. I couldn't buy a new prius, and since they were so hard to come by (i.e. 2 month waiting list), I drove out of state to get the one I have. It's a silver one, base model, nothing fancy. But now I'm finding that I'm stuck in the car and am going to have to learn to love it. It has grown on me a bit, especially since learning how to get the best mileage out of it. My question to the forum here is this.... I've noticed the newer Prius's coming out with mp3 players in them. Is there any way possible to get such a player for my car? I don't have the nav system, don't have a need for it, but the mp3 player would be awesome. I'd like a different stereo in the car altogether, but that's not possible, so... I've searched the threads here but haven't found anything regarding this. It seems there should be some kind of software upgrade I can make to the car for the mp3 player to work. Also, about 2 weeks after I bought this car I caught a rock from a semi in the very upper right hand corner of the windshield. The crack traveled 8 inches in 4 hours and over a foot by the time I got off work that day. The windshield is ruined. My insurance won't cover it as I'm told a new windshield will cost around $400 just for the windshield itself! Then add the installation and my deductible won't cover both together. Are there any good places to buy a new windshield?

Ok, another question, I caught a few of the threads regarding interior molding. Since my Prius is the base model, the molding on the inside, even on the doors is just plastic, dark gray plastic, which marks up easily and appears very cheap. I have noticed some cars with what looks like a thick black type of grained leather on the upper portion of the doors and dash. Is such a modification possible? If so, how would I go about it?

I guess this is good for openers... Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, click the prius accessories tab at the top of the page.
    Next, take a look at Coastaletech.com
    Finally, do a search for "MP3 mod" or "Ipod mod" and you should get a plethora of hits on the site discussing all the various options available to you.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't understand your windshield/insurance problem. Forgive me if you already know this but comprehensive is the part of your insurance that covers glass breakage. It is almost always $100 deductible or less, as opposed to collision which can be up to $1000 deductible in most states. If you have comprehensive you should go to your insurance company and talk to them again, rocks from trucks is exactly the kind of thing that is covered. The new windshield should cost you the amount of the deductible and that includes installation.

4. lazyleo

lazyleo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jan 3 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]370088[/snapback]</div>

it's a $500 deductible, glass included.

5. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lazyleo @ Jan 3 2007, 07:34 AM) [snapback]370075[/snapback]</div>
    OK, maybe you know this already, and I'm just getting hung up on semantics (as I often do), but . . .

Newer Prii do not come with MP3 players. The '06 and forward have an AUX plug that makes it easy to play an MP3 player thru the stereo. So no, there is no software change that will fix anything in this regard. As already posted, search the forum on "iPod integration" and you should get an idea what's availible.

Cheers

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i think he means mp3 cd's. in that case, no, you can't upgrade the head unit or replace with a newer year's version. this was discussed by us jealous 04/05 owners when the 06s came out and as it turns out i think the connectors were different or something.

is the $400 for an aftermarket windshield? or oem?

and finally, in the 04/05 models, the trim is different than the 06/07s. the 06/07s have textured plastic, and i'm sure if you really wanted to upgrade you could buy the pieces from a junked prius or get them from toyota and just remove/replace.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) The textured plastic interior panels, glove box covers, etc. seem another example of Toyota 'listening' to their owners. In the Prius, the 2007 Touring Edition has 16" wheels, Bridgestone Turanza tires, mudguards, factory leather available, backup camera and improved suspension [many of these were "added" by previous model Prius owners].

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new OEM Toyota windshield is almost $1,000, not including labor.

I, too, am confused about why your insurance company would not pay for a replacement. It's the part about "Then add the installation and my deductible won't cover both together..."

Are they saying that the part and the installation are two different claims? I'm not an insurance agent, but this sounds odd to me.

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< OEM Windshield cost may depend on your location. Total cost including labor in Dallas, Texas was ~$640 of which I paid my $50 glass breakage deductable. Cost of a PPG replacement was about $75 less expensive but I insisted on OEM to preserve the original specs.

The glass company was able to preserve my inspection and license stickers. :)

10. lazyleo

lazyleo New Member

no, the total of both the glass and install would be just over what my deductible would be. Here in Wichita the quote I was given was around $475 for the glass and $50 for the install, so by making a claim and everything after my deductible I'd be saving just under $50.

11. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lazyleo @ Jan 3 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]370440[/snapback]</div>
    Man that sucks; I have a 0 deductible on comp claims because there is so much construction in the SF Bay Area that I generally lose at least 1 windshield per year. Good luck.