1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Studded 185/55 R15's for my '05 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MT Prius, Dec 9, 2008.

1. MT Prius

MT Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did a quick search of the forum, but didn't see this question addressed, if it already has sorry in advance.

I have an '05 Prius with the stock rims and am currently running 185/65 R15's. Winter is here in Montana, it's starting to get snowy and icy and I'm in the market for a set of studded tires. I have found a (super) cheap set of studded tires size 185/55 R15. Will these fit the prius? Will there be any performance issues if I run these? I checked with the local tire store and they said they'd fit. However, I trust your collective input much more than the teenager behind the desk of the tire store.

Thanks for the help!

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The 55s will fit, but will not be as strong as the 65s. Look at the manufacturers chart of size and load rating. They will turn faster than the 65s as well, throwing your speedo and odometer off. The amount depends on the manufacturer. In other words, you will get more miles appearing on the odo. than you should.

3. MT Prius

MT Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the quick reply David. I think it'll be worth putting the 55's on the prius, even though there won't be as much rubber on the road as 65's, since they only have a couple thousand miles on them and I can get them for $100 through a friend. i just wanted to make sure that there weren't going ot be any serious issues with putting the 55's on.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The answer to your other question is 'Yes, you will affect your mileage'. Studded tires will do that on any car. They will also reduce your traction on wet and dry pavement. They are only useful in a fairly narrow temperature range, becoming less useful as it gets colder (kind of like road salt). How often do you drive on ice? I would rather not EVER put 'super cheap' tires on my car. Spend some money on some GOOD snow tires instead.