1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

studdering when switching to gas engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mswalters, Oct 22, 2007.

1. mswalters

mswalters New Member

Ok, I finally got my '08 Touring and thought all was well. It has been in service twice now for various add ons and both times they gave my husband a loaner Prius to drive. He has noticed that our car seems to studder when switching from electric to gas where the loaners did not. I thought it might be because of the break in, however the one he is driving today only has 200 miles on it so that's not it. Any ideas? He has called service and asked them to check it but I thought I would see if any of you all have had this problem. Forgive me for not having any other details. Mine is the only one I have ever driven so I thought it was normal. Thanks.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Typically the ICE will shudder at startup and shutdown when it is cold. In other words, the engine has not fully warmed. This can be prevalent during the first 10-15 minutes of driving.

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree it is most likely coincidence. When I first got mine it had only 6 miles on it, I never ever heard / felt it like I did in the one that I test drove, it must have always been warm outside when it was new because then I realized later that it usually only does it off a cold engine usually the first drive in the morning. It seems to get softer as the break in period goes. Mine now has 15,000 miles (since March 30) and I don't feel it all most times unless I am concentrating on it.

4. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm at about 1500 miles on my new toy, and there is still a slight shudder when the ICE kicks in. It's not really a big deal. It also depends how fast I am accelerating. If I accelerate from a stop up to, say, 15+ mph fully electric, the engine kicks in pretty seamlessly, but if I stomp on the pedal, there is a shudder. I think that must be normal.

5. mswalters

mswalters New Member

Thanks. They told my husband that they didn't think there was anything to worry about, but to ask again after about 5K miles if it is still happening.

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmama @ Oct 23 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]529251[/snapback]</div>
    If the shudder is due to a cold ICE, it will still be there after 5K. What you should be concerned with (possibly) is if the shudder is still there after the ICE has fully warmed. You may experience an occasional shudder with a warm ICE. That's normal. But if the shudder is there at startup and shutdown all of the time when the engine is warm, it should be looked at by the dealer.

7. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When the ICE kicks in, I would imagine there should be some expected vibrations. Both the first Prius that I test drove at the dealership (8 miles on the ODO) and the Prius that I took delivery of (1 mile on the ODO) exhibited the same behaviour, so that makes me think that this is something that this car just does. It's not terribly annoying to me.