1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stupid neighbours

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wolfman, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I was at work last night, one of my neighbours just proved that I do not own enough land. We are currently deep into the season of hell right now, and have burn bans in effect all over the state, due to the extended period of dry and HOT weather.

One of my bonehead neighbours saw fit to set off fireworks in their pastureland last night. Well, surprise, surprise, they set their land on fire. The winds were picking up last night as well, and blew their fire onto my property. The fire got to about 20 feet from my house, and literally burned all the way up to the foundation of one of my outbuildings. By some small miracle there is not so much as a scorch mark on the out building, which was totally surrounded by fire by the time the VFD arrived. These morons don't know just how lucky they are. The only casualties of this fire was 13 feet of chain link fence, superficial damage to my snowmobile trailer, and significant damage to the deck of the car trailer. Of course, they've been nowhere to be found all morning this morning, so I haven't been able to corner them about paying for the damages. It's probably a good thing, since being forced to go outside and repair my fence in the blistering heat had me just as pissed off this morning, as when I got home last night.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow im glad you are ok. dry grass fires can take off and get out of control in seconds. you are lucky lucky lucky,

as far as your neighbors go, someone does it every year. i have not yet heard of anyone losing any fingers this year, but its still early and the 4th aint over yet

3. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Geez, you are lucky it wasn't worse. I'm glad you and your home are ok.

The morons are out in full force here in Los Angeles. It sounds like a freaking war zone around my house. It has been so bad that my dog fell out of a second story window trying to get away from the sound. A $100 later, the vet says he's ok, nary a scratch, but he's now tranquilized until the morons deplete their stash and return under the rocks from whence they came.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh gee... knew i should have watched the local news first before saying anything... a young woman was hit in the eye with an illegal firework last night in Marysville.

dont know what happened to her but hope she is ok and a bit wiser now

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Wolfie glad to hear that's all the damage you had. You betcha they'll pay. A copy of the fire dept report along with a mailed bill for the damages and any dumbass will realize they are on the edge of a court case. The best is no real damage to your buildings. The other thing is to wait till the wind shifts the other way and do a back burn!

6. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"104068)</div>
    I wish I could do that back burn. Unfortunately, the wind won't be shifting from the southeast untill October, when the first of the real "cold fronts" moves in. By that time, all of that wonderful black fertilizer will have done it's magic. :crazyeyes:

If there's one bright side to this, 2/3 of the fenced inner back yard, no longer needs to be mowed. :mrgreen:

7. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolfman\";p=\"104072)</div>
    I wish I could do that back burn. Unfortunately, the wind won't be shifting from the southeast untill October, when the first of the real "cold fronts" moves in. By that time, all of that wonderful black fertilizer will have done it's magic. :crazyeyes:

If there's one bright side to this, 2/3 of the fenced inner back yard, no longer needs to be mowed. :mrgreen:
    [/b][/quote]
    well I guess you could consider that the bright spot of the incident!

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm glad you're okay, Wolfman.

Yeah, some people can be stupid and inconsiderate. I don't mind so much when they destroy their own property, but when they bring it to your back door (literally) then their fault becomes your problem. Usually, when I hear about stories like that, I append the words, "alcohol was involved."

Someone was shooting fireworks and firecrackers from about 10:00 until 11:30 last night in my neighborhood. I kept thinking to myself, surely they will draw attention to themselves and an officer will be right along. Or perhaps surely they will run out or grow tired. Nope. I ended up calling the Sheriff's office around 11:15 to complain.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    =S

Thank goodness it didn't reach your house. Sometimes you gotta wonder what the heck's going on in those tiny little brains.

Glad you're okay!

10. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"104192)</div>
    Haha.

Makes me think of the Bugs Bunny cartoon in which he runs off a cliff and just stands there, suspended in midair. He looks to the viewer and says, "It's a good thing I never studied gravity."

I think it's the same with people sometimes. They never learned how things work or that there's a cause and effect. Therefore, they do things without fully understanding the complete ramifications of their actions.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wolfy:

Human Nature being what it is, I can guarantee that even if you had several thousand acres, and had your house right smack-dab in the middle with plenty of empty pasture all around, some idiot neighbor would still pull a stunt like that.

And I bet that even if you had the Starship Enterprise parked in your back yard, it wouldn't be any better on a different planet either. Unless the local law on that different planet encourages property owners to use their phaser to vaporize bad neighbors.

As time goes on, I've come to realize the Universe appears to work in odd ways.

Jay

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just as a side note. There was a news article in Chicagoland about a guy who's being held for shooting someone because his neightbors were shooting off fireworks and the paper was alledgedly landing in his yard. The truly tragic part is that the guy he shot had just shown up at the party and had nothing to do with the fireworks.

13. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Yea a dumb move, glad you are OK., these morons could have done real damage. Send them the bills and don't go light on them. Hate that stuff and have to put up with it all the time, the teens love to shoot bottle rockets in the street and at parked cars, they think it is fun.

14. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

If they want to see real fireworks, let them join the Army or Marines...Navy too, I had some pretty good light shows.

15. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was finally able to corner the neighbors on Wednesday. They are going to cover all damages, and did apologize for the incident.

16. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolfman\";p=\"105670)</div>
    Right on!

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well at least they were respectable about it

18. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IALTMANN\";p=\"105344)</div>
    :lolup: You are correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

19. prius04

prius04 New Member

I'm pretty sure that in my state it got passed that if a person causes a forest or brush fire from an illegal event, or even from foolhardiness, they can get billed from the local municipality for the total cost of putting the fire out. The use of the truck, gas to get there, and wages of the crew that put it out.

Of course, due to the nature of forest fires, this could be difficult to enforce, but it looks like there is a case in your case. If you had such a local ordinance.

20. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked the fire department about that when they came back out the following morning to put out a flare up. The only time they bill, is when they use chemical foam on a fire. That stuff costs $20 per gallon.

Dave, while they were respectable when I finally was able to confront them, It's still pretty shallow on their part, that they didn't come to me on their own.