1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stupid Prius Advice Columnist of the Day

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tempus, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ask the Auto Doctor

Dear Doctor: I recently purchased a new Toyota Prius. I live in California and am able to drive on the high occupancy lane because it’s a hybrid vehicle. Is there any problem with getting right onto the highway without the engine being warmed up first? Bob

Dear Bob: With any vehicle, it is always best to drive at a moderate speed until the engine has a chance to warm. I recommend letting the engine idle anywhere from one minute with temperatures 40-plus degrees Fahrenheit, to three minutes below 40 degrees.

Ok, I guess that means putting it in 'B' mode to keep it from shutting off. Now I know the real reason for the big B!

2. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Dec 17 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]363371[/snapback]</div>
    No, you should be using 'W' mode for Warm up. :)

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And no mention of the need for stickers to drive the HOV lanes.

Gee. The guy must live right next to the onramp.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dear Doctor -

I was driving my brand new Prius when I noticed the engine shuts off every time I'm at a stop sign or red light! What's the matter with it? - Art

Dear Mr. Spinella -

I suggest bringing the car to the dealer ASAP so they can fix this problem; it sounds serious.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Unless you use the EV switch, the Prius will start the engine about 10 seconds after you power it up (or sooner if you step hard enough on the accelerator) and will continue to run it until it has gotten warm. You need not do anything special to force it to warm up. It will not shut off during this warm-up period unless you shut down the car!

The advice to let an engine get warm before driving at freeway speed is generally sound. The Prius actually wants to do this itself, as shown by the fact that (in normal weather) it will use more electricity during the first minute or so, precisely in order to warm the engine before putting a load on it. But in extremely cold weather the battery cannot deliver as much electricity, and the car will put more load on the engine.

Driving slowly for the first few minutes is good for any internal-combustion car, including the Prius. If you live right at the on-ramp, you may be out of luck, but you could still stay in the slow lane for a minute or two.

6. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Dec 17 2006, 06:23 AM) [snapback]363371[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the guy obviously has no clue about the Prius since I don't think it idles for that long before shutting off!!! However, I believe ken@japan has said (either here or on the Yahoo groups) that it's possible to get better mileage if you allow the car to complete the "warm-up" cycle before driving. I don't do that, but I notice that when I get it past 42 mph right away, I get better mileage in the first five minutes than when I stay at residential speeds.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dear Mr. Obvious.
    I purchased a windshield shade for my Toyota Prius. It works really well because the inside of my car stays much cooler on sunny days. Unfortunately, I can no longer see out the front of my car while I'm driving. My question is, how does this affect the cargo capacity in my Suburban?

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Dec 18 2006, 06:04 AM) [snapback]363685[/snapback]</div>
    No, Tony. The question should have been: "Why do they allow the importation of cars that you can't see out the windshield?"

Or maybe just a statement: "I sold my Prius to someone who seemed not to care that he couldn't see out."

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 17 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]363558[/snapback]</div>
    Which behaviour, as far as I know, is Emissions related and has not much to do with wear and tear issues. The point is to avoid dumping HCs into the Cats until they are able to process them properly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 17 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]363558[/snapback]</div>
    That's pretty much old-school thinking as far as I know these days. For the most part once the oil is distributed modern cars are fine to 'just drive it', and the Prius distributes the oil sooner than most due to the spin-up prior to ignition.

Besides, Vehicle Speed has only a cursory relation to Engine Speed and Load. You may well put less 'wear' on the engine by your logic, by gently getting up to cruising speed and then letting the engine loaf in (what passes in the Prius for) low gear, rather than going through a raft of slow speed stop/starts calling for repeated loading (acceleration) before getting onto the highway.

Personally, if it's even an issue these days, I believe Load Stresses would play a lot more havok with cold parts than Constant Speed Stresses. Loading and Unloading, Stress and Strain are what fatigue cold parts.

So, it could just as logically be argued that the best thing for the engine is to get onto the freeway as soon as possible and accelerate moderately to speed, then maintain constant speed until warm.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Moderate acceleration is always recommended, both for engine life and for mpg.

11. cbs4

cbs4 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Dec 17 2006, 06:23 AM) [snapback]363371[/snapback]</div>
    After reading this post last night, I ran a test:

At 32f degrees this morning, we started our Prius and let it sit for however long it might take for the ICE to shut off on its own. After five solid minutes while I went around the car adjusting the air pressure, the ICE still remained running, having never shut off during this warm up period.

The advice columnist doesn't appear stupid in the least, nor does "Bob," the driver who wrote in a very reasonable question.

Reading the Prius Modifications EBH thread, it appears that a lot of members here have gone through a great deal of trouble to install engine block heaters in their Priuses, to reduce this warm up time.

Car manufacturers, including Toyota, have for years added various devices to increase the heat and decrease the warm up time, from exhaust back pressure valves to thermos reservoirs to intake air heaters to relocating cat converters to remote start systems. It is simply sound for engines to reach operating temperture before full loads are applied. Tooling slowly and moderately through one's neighborhood can work, but if one lives where the engine must be immediately loaded after leaving the driveway, such as going up a hill, or accelerating quickly, then a warmup makes sense.

Every mechanic I know warms up his vehicle for a minute or two at idle, with no load. As far as HCs and the cat, there is less unburnt fuel being wasted when not pressing down on the accelerator. Recently, CA law required all smog stations to install chassis dynamometers in the smog check II program, to test for emissions under LOAD, as that is more of a concern than a brief idle. It is better for the cat to be warm to handle dealing with unburnt fuel fed under acceleration.

Anyway, calling the advice columnist stupid seems unjustified.

12. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Er.. I think a lot of you guys are missing the point that the original question seemed to be asking whether it's legit to ride on the HOV in a hybrid with the gas motor on at all... of course it is! THat went completely over the responding "expert's" head....

Perhaps you guys are just taking it further...

Dave

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Dec 19 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]364248[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. Despite the advent of multi-vis oils and increased manufacturing tolerences, the fact is that it's still best to let the internal temperatures of the engine equalize before putting it under serious load.

And I'm not talking about the coolant being warm, either...I was taught that it's the oil temperature that really matters.

14. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveSheremata @ Dec 20 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]364731[/snapback]</div>
    True, the question wasn't stupid. Actually, the answer wasn't stupid, either, for your average ICE. Of course, the Prius isn't your average ICE...

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok.. so this post is full of jokes and humor... it's good to see priuschat is still alive :) hehe

the car moderates everything for you.. drive.. and shut up.. :) lol.

if it's cold... and during first initial acceleration it turns more power from the electric side of the car.. allowing the prius to warm up properly?

moderate acceleration? the engine only runs at 2 rpms?... what's more moderate than that. It isn't as if you can red line a prius.

16. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Dec 17 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]363371[/snapback]</div>
    Does anyone know if it's safe to take the Prius to the beach. There's so much sand and wind and water there. I was just wondering. It's my family that keeps taking it there.
    Mary

17. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 20 2006, 06:19 PM) [snapback]364838[/snapback]</div>
    Unless we're sure that the Prius engine management software will prevent full engine power 'till it's warmed up, I'd suggest driving with some caution until the temps come off the stops.

But that's just me.

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Dec 20 2006, 07:07 PM) [snapback]364851[/snapback]</div>

My Dad warned me to be careful driving in the rain so I don't get electricuted.

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveSheremata @ Dec 20 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]364731[/snapback]</div>
    I read the question as one of loading the engine before it's warmed up. The original question specifically said "before the engine is warmed up," or words to that effect.

20. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Dec 20 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]364884[/snapback]</div>

this is why the software has warm up stages... and either way.. the motor still runs only at 2 speeds... 1, you at at when you start... 2, you are probably at under acceleration during warm up.

ok... i'm tired of this topic. or lack there of.