1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stuxnet vs Iran

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Mar 23, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Looking Back and Thinking Ahead on Cyberwar, ...

Over time, incidents continued to escalate with Russia attacking Estonia in 2007, for example, and the United States' 2009 Stuxnet attack against Iran. Cyber offensive military personnel adopted the strategy of buying zero-days and getting their lawyers to say nothing would go wrong. Their idea was to focus on offensive strategies at the expense of ignoring defense.

Source: Iranians hacked thousands of US professors, Justice Dept. says - CNNPolitics

The Trump administration alleged Friday that Iranian government-linked hackers conducted a "massive and brazen" hacking scheme, breaking into the accounts of roughly 8,000 professors at hundreds of US and foreign universities, as well as private companies and government entities, to steal huge amounts of data and intellectual property.

The indictment unveiled by the Justice Department directly links the individuals charged with the hacks to the Iranian government, saying the perpetrators were working for Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and other government clients.

My first problem is our hands are not clean either. Rather it has become a tit-for-tat, cyberwar, which appears to be more FUD than fact. Granted phishing has opened a lot of e-mail accounts but I have to say I'm not terribly surprised or shocked. The announcements of compromise too often far out weights the actual content.

Bob Wilson