1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sub-Prius 2011 Toyota Hybrid To Use European Auris Platform?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Mar 23, 2009.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If Auris is based on the Corolla platform and similar to Matrix, wouldn't it be too big to compare with the Insight? I thought Yaris platform is comparable to the Fit platform which the Insight is based on.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I guess it depends on price and MPG. I find it strange Honda is said to be planning release of a hybrid Fit, on top of the Civic and Insight. I'm more interested in the rumored hybrid sport ute. Of course, since matrix can be had with AWD, maybe that's another possible hybrid sport ute.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well we've seen a Matrix Hybrid a few years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if in NA, we're getting a Matrix HSD instead.

5. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Insight borrows front-end components from the Fit/Jazz but is not based on that extensively. The wheelbase is 50mm longer at 2550mm. The Insight looks stretched because it is stretched; it's 496mm longer than the Fit. That's one hell of an overhang.

The best-selling C-segment car in the UK is the Ford Focus. A current Ford Focus 5-door hatchback is 4337mm long, 59mm shorter than the Insight. I've complained already that for UK parking spaces, the Prius is really too long.

Comparing to the 2008 Prius, the Prius is 54mm longer than the Insight but the wheelbase is 150mm longer. It loses a little in turning circle but gains quite a bit of stability.

The Auris is also C-segment. Wheelbase is 2600mm, 50mm more than Insight and 100mm more than Fit/Jazz; overall length is 4220mm, 320mm longer than the Jazz.

Honda's regular C-segment competitor is the 5-door Civic, which comes in at 4245mm long (shorter than Insight). I can't find a wheelbase figure.

Arguably, then, the Auris is too small to compare with an Insight! Honda may have shot straight between two targets and missed both of them.