1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sub Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by junski1986, Oct 19, 2010.

1. junski1986

junski1986 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If i put in a strong amp 1500 watts and a 1100 watt sub will this effect my mpg? because of using the battery big time will the alternator be big enough also i have and extra battery if needed thanks the subs is a 15" kicker and amp is a fosgate

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is no alternator. The 12V bus on the Prius is supplied by a DC to DC converter from the HV battery. Normally the average power draw from an audio amplifier is well below its rated output. Unless you are using a freakish amount of bass, the DC to DC converter should be able to keep up.

Obviously the energy used by the audio system comes at the expense of mileage. 1000 W is about 1.34 hp, so you can see that the mileage hit is real but not huge. I can't give you a mileage number without having the driving conditions for the Prius. For example, if you listen to music while standing still, the mileage hit is infinite. On the other hand, at highway speed it is fairly modest.

Tom

3. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All the power in a Prius comes from the gas tank, so the answer is yes mpg is affected. How much depends on how much power your audio system uses. The maximum power available from the Prius DC/DC converter which charges the 12 volt battery is 100 Amps times 12 volts = about 1200 watts. So you need to determine if your system draws more current than is available. I wouldn't want to be drawing maximum power on a continuous basis either. The 12 volt battery is quite small and you certainly couldn't run your system without the car in Ready mode. That would mean a dead battery in seconds.