1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

subtle "click" when braking, should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Matt Price, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Matt Price

Matt Price New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all, new poster here. I have a 2011 Prius with 35,000 miles, and I've only just recently started being the passenger as we've switched up our short (4-5 mile, city driving) commute. The car is mostly used for city driving, and rarely takes trips longer than an hour.

I've noticed as we brake, right before stopping (but well after brake pedal is depressed) there is a faint click; I've been able to pinpoint it to under my left foot (I'm in the front passenger seat), as I can feel a very faint vibration associated with the click, leading me to believe it's not just some switch. It's not very noticeable, but it's odd enough to lead me here, and to see if the collective Prius knowledge base here might have some ideas. I don't see anyone else posting with this specific issue - should I be concerned? Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

prius makes a lot of funny sounds. i wouldn't worry about it, but if you are concerned, put it on a lift and inspect the brakes and suspension.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Could also check the heat shield as if you think it is under your left foot as the passenger, the heat shield resides close to te in the engine bay.

4. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know the exact speed on the 3rd gen, but on the 2nd gen, the regenerative braking disengages between 5 and 10mph. When this occurs, the computer adds extra brake pressure while simultaneously disengaging regenerative braking. However, it's not that smooth when this occurs. My guess is it's this that's causing the tick.