1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Subwoofer in rear compartment?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Grayson73, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Grayson73

Grayson73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've seen a lot of people put subwoofers under the front seat. Does this mean a sub sounds better there than in the rear compartment above the spare tire? It seems like the choices are much more limited under the seat than in the rear compartment.

I know that putting it behind the back seat facing the back is the best, but I don't want to sacrifice any trunk space.

Thanks,
    Grayson

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have one in the compartment in the rear and I am very happy with it there. I wanted it under the front pass. seat but there just wasn't enough room for a tidy install. I think I need to adjust the phasing or something because I can tell that the sub is "back" there (latency?).

3. Grayson73

Grayson73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What sub do you have?

Is there room for a sub box and amp?

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keep in mind I have a GenIII so I don't know how the compartment looks on the GenII (that is what you have right?). Anyway, I have the Bass 1200 by Boss. It is a self contained sub. It won't make your ears bleed but adds very nicely to the system. If I knew I was going to put it back there (as oppose to the pass. seat) I would have gotten the 1500 model.
    There have been a couple of people on here that have made custom boxes to fit different areas in the rear. You will have to search for those if you want to go that route.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Low frequencies consist of rather long wave lengths. To hear a fully developed bass note you should have some distance between you and the subwoofer.

In many cases, a subwoofer will sound better and louder if positioned in the rear of the vehicle and facing the back hatch or up towards the glass. I've played with and sold car audio for decades and I have yet to hear a subwoofer sound better when placed close to me rather than in the rear of the vehicle.

That being said, if you are not really that into your music and just want a little extra low end then a subwoofer designed to go under the seat may do the trick and not reduce cargo capacity. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Grayson73

Grayson73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, I have a Gen II. Sounds like it's better to put it in the rear compartment where the spare tire is than under the seat.

I wanted to put the JL Audio Flatwedge, but I believe that it is too deep (a little over 5").

I will look into the Boss Bass600, Bass1200, and Bass1500. The bass600 has better reviews than the bass1200 and bass1500 for some reason.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BTW, here is a link to a previous post about subs and a picture more mine installed.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have BASS600 under the passenger seat. It fills up the missing bass and that was all I was looking for. I still have full cargo capability and easy access to the spare tire and jack.