1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Subwoofer Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jrnteacher, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jrnteacher

jrnteacher Junior Member

I wish to install a high-end, high-power stereo system in my '06 Prius. I'm trying to figure out the best subwoofer installation. My previous car was a Lincoln and I had two 10" free-air subs in the back deck powered with 600 watts RMS. They sounded VERY nice. I would like to put something of similar capacity/quality in the Prius.

My two best thoughts are to construct a sealed box for one or two subs and install it in the area where the spare is (I think I could cram it in there).

Or I could build a deck that covers the entire back storage area (in the same place as the fabric pull-out-cover goes) and install my two 10" free-air subs. The deck could be removable, if needed.

Does anyone have any experience with subwoofer installation in the Prius?

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    use the search feature, you'll find tons of threads.

Basically, there are three options people have opted for. the first is to get something similar to the Kenwood KSC-SW1, and mount it in the hidden tray in the trunk (above the spare tire) or under a seat (don't remember if it fit there or not, but it's a possibility). Second is to make a custom box (usually ouot of fiberglass) to mount in the passenger side cubby hole in the trunk (behind the wheel above the 12V battery). This cubby is more or less on the low end, size wise, for most 8 inch subs. third is to get a Bazooka or a normal box to put in the trunk. somewhere there's a post with a link to an article about mounting a bazooka behind the rear seats.

I can't say again how much this has been discussed on here, so please use the search feature next time!

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here's the link to where the Bazooka subwoofer is installed behind the rear seats.

4. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 2 2006, 10:25 AM) [snapback]296244[/snapback]</div>
    \

You could fit a pair of the Kenwoods in the tray, giving you four 6" speakers ( two active and two passive) and 300 peak watts ( 150 RMS) without a lot of hassle, cutting etc., still have easy access to spare and no visibility in the rest of the hatch area for around $300.

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrnteacher @ Aug 2 2006, 08:53 AM) [snapback]296191[/snapback]</div>
    Here you have another OPTION to consider about a Subwoofer.
    I use an Basslink II from Infinity (with an external volume control ) and I installed it behind the drivers seat and, I do not transport more than 1 passenger. I like my cargo area and I use it often.
    Hope that this helps make your decission ;)

6. jrnteacher

jrnteacher Junior Member

>Original Message:
    >I wish to install a high-end, high-power stereo system in my '06 Prius. I'm trying to figure out the best >subwoofer installation. My previous car was a Lincoln and I had two 10" free-air subs in the back deck >powered with 410 watts RMS. They sounded VERY nice. I would like to put something of similar >capacity/quality in the Prius.

>My two best thoughts are to construct a sealed box for one or two subs and install it in the area where the >spare is (I think I could cram it in there).

>eagle33199 Responded:
    >

7. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    First off, your question was "Does anyone have any experience with subwoofer installation in the Prius?", which is the question i was answering...

As for the capacity, how about the following thread, which has a 600W amp shown? (granted, the amp isn't for the subs, it's for the suround speakers, but it's still along the same lines)
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=19746&hl=

maybe next time instead of coming back and saying "well, i did a search, but there was nothing that answered my question" you should focus more on what question you're actually asking... Many people have put in dual 10 inch subs (there's another active thread on it right now, in fact...). The fact that it's 400W doesn't really mean much unless your question concerns the amount of power drawn from the battery and if the car can handle it (yes, it should be able to handle it), but you didn't ask that question.

Basically, my post exactly answered the question you posed, much as that same question has been answered on dozens of other posts.

8. jrnteacher

jrnteacher Junior Member

9. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I'm wrapping up what I think is the ultimate stealth system: Two JL Audio 8IB4 subs in the rear factory speaker positions, driven by a Rockford amp in the hidden hatch box. Those drivers are out of production and it is a lot of work, but I'm getting a heck of a lot more and deeper bass than one can get out of 6" hideaway systems.

Note that I had to cut sheet metal in the doors and make my own plywood speaker mounts, epoxied into place. And a lot of dampening. Not plug and play.

I'll have photos in a while.

10. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    tmorrowus! Wow!!!!

Ultimate Heh, but after a quick search i see the subs are 8"? Do they have alot of 'kick'? Did you run your power and ground to the rear right-side battery also?

(am i the only one that installed my amp's power in the front Power Panel?!) :(

11. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Aug 23 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]308318[/snapback]</div>
    Probably... it's just so much more difficult (as you found out) to have to run the power wires all the way to the front and get them into the engine compartment for power than it is to just hook them up to the battery which is right there... oh well, your installer didn't know any better.

12. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 23 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]308341[/snapback]</div>
    Yah! :angry:
    Oh, well... no problems now... no harm really done. Except for the fact i know there's a hole in the firewall. :(

13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tmorrowus @ Aug 23 2006, 03:23 AM) [snapback]308121[/snapback]</div>
    For deeper bass, i would consider fibreglassing those 8s into the cubbys in the back on either side of the car. It should give them the 'box' space they need to produce some good bass. The doors really suck for bass response unless you have some way of sealing the speakers.

Jrnteacher,

Go sealed or ported for your subs unless they don't like that. Free-air isn't ideal for bass, and it's kinda run as a last ditch option if they can't be boxed due to installation limitations. You haven't mentioned what make/model those subs are, as it would help us out to find out what their best application is.

14. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 24 2006, 12:08 AM) [snapback]308671[/snapback]</div>
    If they are either Kicker or MTX, I know that their "Free-air" model subs are made to work either in free air applications of vented (ported) enclosures. If you're concerned with saving space, the best option is a very small sealed enclosure (as Presto suggested). Depends also on how much power you have available to drive the subs. If you don't mind chewing up some cargo space, a larger vented enclosure for your two free-air 10's is another option. Let us know what you're concerns are, what specific equipment you have and we can make recommendations.
    Good Luck...

15. jrnteacher

jrnteacher Junior Member

16. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV