1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Subwoofer Location?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by stomsf, Feb 6, 2008.

1. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I just got my new Kenwood KSC-SW10 Subwoofer and think it'll get installed over the weekend. :D

However, when I do get it installed, I'd like input on where to mount it. I've heard of two options that are attractive, both with pluses and minuses:
    • Under the Driver seat (no Nav).
      • Pro's -- no lost space, simple access.
      • Cons -- not enclosed, is it going to be too much bass?
    • In the cargo area in the "compartment" above the spare.
      • Pro's -- no lost space, enclosed.
      • Cons -- will it be muddy and will I lose fidelity my having it in the trunk? Harder to access controls but I think it'll be a "set it and forget it" operation.
    I don't want to leave it out in the cargo area or in the back seat. Opinions??

2. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Put it under the seat. If it is too much bass, use the wired remote to turn down the gain.

Trust me, once you start feeling the bass, you'll be wishing you had more.

Subwoofers and bass is about moving air, if it is located in the enclosed compartment, you will not have the air movement you need to feel the bass. You'll end up with more rattle than nice smooth bass.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm no expert but I recall being told by an audiophile that the bass speaker should be further away than the other speakers which is why good car sound systems have the bass in the back and hatch backs are preferred.

How about in or above the rear left side storage bin?

4. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You're right, but he said he didn't want it in the trunk out in the open. His option was to put it in the trunk enclosure. That would hinder the performance of the unit. It would be like putting your home theater subwoofer in a closet with the door closed.

Ideally you would want the sub in the rear of the vehicle facing backward bouncing the front waves off the rear wall of the vehicle. There are two waves that eminate from the sub, the front wave, and the rear wave. By bouncing one of the waves off the rear wall, it reinforces the other. If you face it forward, the rear wave cancels some of the front wave. There is a crude diagram about cancellation on the internet somewhere. I can't find it.

The Kenwood unit is relatively small so having it under the seat should be fine. I guess there is only one way to find out! Give us a review after you install it. You can always move it.

5. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I put mine in the wrong place-maybe, rear compartment. I think it sounds great. They do put subs in trunks I think, and they sound great.
    If you do put it under the seat you can run the wires under the carpet & through the existing hole- I ran my remote control for it to there.
    I can hear it just fine in the rear compartment but as you know everyone has different taste in sound & music.
    I think it is a great, little, no hassle unit for sure. (I just did the SW10 a month or so ago).

What you might do is wire it up & try moving it around & see if you hear much difference & then locate it in the best spot for your ears.

Steve

6. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you do mount the sub in the compartment in the trunk, how will you get to the spare? You would have to rig some sort of disconnect plug. I thought about mounting my amp in there, but the guys at the installation place were concerned about heat. Thats also when they asked me about a disconnect plug to remove the tray to access the spare. Just a thought.

Btw, here is my sub. JL Audio 10"W3's with dual 2 ohm voice coils. I had a larger box loaded with two of these subs, but it was overkill in the Prius. Nevermind that the larger box weighed close to 75 pounds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is where I mounted the EBC (External Bass Controller):
    [​IMG]

7. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bet that one sounds great!

Steve

8. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought in here would be concealed by the luggage curtain and be out of the way, allowing access to spare wheel and under floor storage but it may require a custom enclosure.
    [​IMG]

9. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is my ideal location. I am still waiting for a company to make an enclosure for that area. I searched everywhere. As of now, the only way would be to have an installer make a custom enclosure using fiberglass. That would be around $300. I'll wait until a mass produced model comes out.

Nice photoshop job, by the way.

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have mine under the seat. The remote control is mounted in the triangular window area on the driver side, the wire is run under the carpet and up along the A pillar. Easy to reach to make adjustments if necessary. But this is rarely used now that I have the settings just right for just about every kind of music. No need to be concerned about too much bass. Once you have it tuned, it sounds great. The massage effect is a nice bonus.

11. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks but you must be kidding!
    It was a 2 minute special on MS paint.

12. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I went under the driver's seat, upon recommendations from both the board and my installer.

My impressions? When installing we stopped at one point when it was connected and listened and I was underwhelmed and dissapointed. Even the installer remarked that the sub was not impressive at all. However, what would you expect for 150 W of sub in such a compact enclosure?

But once we got the car put back together and the sound tweaked, the installer and I both revised our opinions and thought the sound was definitely fuller and there was a discernable low level thump to be had from some deeper bass pieces I put on the stereo.

Not the ground shaking thump that you'd expect from a low-rider with spinning rims (sorry, stereotype) but all I wanted was a little more punch on the low end and the Kenwood sub certainly delivers.

Install took about 1 1/2 hours and the installer I used was meticulous and very neat with the wiring -- something I appreciated. I'd recommend him to anyone in the Bay Area who needs some electronic/audio work done on their Prius, he's mobile and was very prompt and professional. Prices were reasonable compared to what a local installer (i.e. Circuit City/Best Buy) would charge.

I'll have pics up in the next few days -- but from my eye it almost looks as if the sub was built for the Prius, it fits in like a glove under the driver's seat. :D

13. BubbaVO

BubbaVO New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We tried getting the KSC-SW1 under the passenger's seat and couldn't because the rails on the seat were too narrow. Could you show pics of what your guys did?

So far I've put the subwoofer on the back of the rear seat. I'll build an enclosure to protect it if I have to haul anything. It actually looks good there, I get surprisingly good sound and the floor space in the cargo area is preserved.

14. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you mount it to the floor? lets see the pics :)

Steve

15. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here are a couple of photos I snapped with my cell phone, so I apologize in advance for the quality of the photos.

As you can see, the sub fits just right in between the rails and when the seat is in it's normal position you can hardly know there's anything there.

Attached Files:

• sub1.jpg
      sub1.jpg
      File size:
      20 KB
      Views:
    • sub2.jpg
      sub2.jpg
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
  16. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Please PM the installers contact info. Does he work in the East bay? Thanks.

17. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, you're right, it does look like it was meant to be there. Nice work!!! If you crank it loud enough you might be able to use it as a seat heater too. :D

18. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thats it- I'm moving mine. That looks awesome.

Steve

19. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How did you run your wires? Under the carpet in front of the back seat?
    Did you run power straight to the battery in back or to the fuse box?

Steve

20. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Smittylube --

I think he ran the wires in the same channel as where along the door, then under the carpet to the seat. As for power I believe that he ran the power to the battery in the back.

I was doing other things while he was working on the car, didn't want to hover and make him uncomfortable. Just happy with the whole project and the luck of finding a great installer on Craigslist. :D