1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Subwoofer modification without success

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusyarr, Jul 14, 2008.

1. priusyarr

priusyarr New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi!

I wasn't happy with the bass on the JBL 9 way stereo so I wanted to add a sub. I talked around and none of my friends wanted to do the modification based on the proprietary system, but a company that was good at stereo was suggested. They added an amplifier and a sub. The amplifier was a 400w and was only used for the sub. They connected it to the back channel and gave it the full specter of sound (it was capeable of playing both low and medium).

When I got the car back I wasn't happy with some things. First, on warm days, the amplifier got too hot (was added in the secret compartment in the trunk), the sound quality wasn't really as expected and when I drove without the dynamo going, I saw the EV distance had decreased a bit.

The first two problems was probably caused by a bad amplifier. They changed it and now I think the sound is much bette and haven't experienced overheating. However, I think the distance I can go EV is still worse than before the installation.

Anyone else experienced something similar. The amplifier was not connected to the hybrid system directly, but I think the hybrid system compensates for the battery loss and therefore the engine will need to be started earlier to charge the battery?

How is the non-hybrid battery system being charged? Is it charged from a dynamo or is power transported from the hybrid system.

Also, I was a bit surpised that they didn't add filters to the system. I would expecte that low should be removed from the rest of the system and that only the sub should be served the low signals? I'm very happy with the current souind so it's not a big issue, but would be interesting to hear what other thinks.

Thanks!

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Why wouldn't your MPG decrease? By using extra electricity that you weren't using before, your going to have to use the gas engine sooner and more frequently. Prius's with 35 watt HID get better fuel economy than with the 55 watt halogen. Didn't you expect this?

3. priusyarr

priusyarr New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not so concerned about the MPG side of it. I haven't really noticed any notable changes there. I'm more concerned about the time it takes before the gas engine starts. It seems to start more frequently because of the power drain.

4. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The choice of the installation of the amp was not the best. These things (amps) need some room to breath! They need a constant source of air circulation and the have to be mounted/orientated correctly.
    You might try installing a capacitor to handle the 400 watts, could be you are putting to much drain on the little battery and the charging system. If your car suddenly goes dead after blasting tunes all day, that's a sure sign, headlights dimming while at idle are another.
    Move that amp, plenty of room in the trunk or mouted to the back of one of the rear seats.

5. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The stereo runs off of the 12 volt battery. The 12 volt battery is recharged by the traction (big EV) battery. The traction battery is recharged by the engine or through regen braking. (yes it is more complicated than that) Thus, as you drive and listen to the stereo your traction battery will drain quicker than before you installed the big amp. This will make the engine in your car start sooner so it can recharge the traction battery.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Power drain from amplifiers is minimal compared to A/C use. According to CAN-View, at peak (while idle), my stereo can suck down 5 Amps through the inverter. Normal listening is about 1.5 - 3 amps. It will impact MPG a little, but nothing too significant. In comparison, A/C sucks down around 15 amps.

Give your amp some air. If you don't want to install it out of the storage compartment, you can install a fan or 2 for circulation. Don't worry about a cap. Those are pretty much useless, as the Prius power system can easily handle 400 watts without even thinking about it.