1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Subwoofer Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Zerox92, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Zerox92

Zerox92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone, I'm looking to just put subs in my car and I have some general questions that hopefully some of you can answer. I have next to no experience with sound mods or anything of the matter. I have a 2005 with just the factory stereo, but I think the door speakers sound fine for now.

First things first: I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I found a box set (Dual BP1204 Illuminite) that my friend has and seem great for the price.

I'm going to get a front stereo unit, and it would be awesome to have one that can play iPods by controlling either the radio or the iPod. None of that scrolling with just the stereo.

With that being said, I'm also curious as to if I should get an amp, since I'm only wanting to add these subs. If so, suggestions to a well-priced amp would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You will definitely need an amp to run the subwoofers. For the simplest installation, an amp that accepts speaker level input would be easiest to install.

You mention replacing the head unit. If you do, most will not interface with the controls in the steering wheel, which will make them useless.

For my system I added better speakers, a 10" sub and an amp to run all the speakers (including the sub). I also added XM satellite radio that uses the stock touch screen. Now I have better sound and all of the touch screen and steering wheel functions still work.

Do a search on subwoofer and you will find some other interesting solutions, including a unit that is self-amplified and fits under the passenger seat.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted this a while ago, the Boss unit has more than met my expectations. It just adds that little extra bottom end I was I was looking for. And the install whie a little invoved, woked out well !!! I went with a "BOSS 800" for the car. I did not want to really see it, just hear it. So I made Aluminum mounting blocks, and Grill Cloth covers for it, and here is the result,

[​IMG]

This gives you access to all the controls, and wiring. The Amp itself is bolted down to the cover over the HV battery! It fits PERFECT in this location.

[​IMG]

Put the covers back on the Sub, drop the mat back in and it is about as subtle as I can see!!!

[​IMG]

It sounds pretty damn good!!! spent about 5 or 6 Pink Floyd songs setting it up...Holy cow my rear view mirror now vibrates and distorts the image!!!!!SWEET!!!

It fills in the bottom end that I thought was always missing!!!

For under $116.00 its an attractive price at Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000OSZA44?tag=priuschatcom-20

4. Zerox92

Zerox92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sweet, thanks for the tips! I think I'm for sure going to get something similar to that Boss 800. But, I would still like some form of Aux input for my iPod. Are there any easy solutions to this without looking terribly goofy? Using radio stations just completely ruins the sound.

5. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for jumping in KK6PD, your post was one I was thinking about but couldn't hit it quickly with search. In some ways I wish I had gone with this (it would certainly have saved me hundreds over the way I went!).

1 person likes this.
  6. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    PriusLewis - do you have any pics of how/where you mounted your 10"?

7. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's in a free-standing box that I have sitting upright behind the left rear seat facing the seat. I can move it anywhere in the back.