1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Success: Kenwood KSC-PSW8 8" Subwoofer installed under passenger seat

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Saucey, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Saucey

Saucey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The following is similar to this thread, as the 8" power subwoofer has similar dimensions to usbseawolf2000 installation.

Hello, longtime lurker, first time audio installer. I've upgraded my Gen 3 Prius II non-nav non-JBL speakers to something better. A real mixmash of speaker brands for both doors and dash. Although it sounds much better, I didn't get that thump from the front speakers as I expected. So a month later I got a powered subwoofer instead of getting an amp. After about 10 months of it being installed, I am quite happy with it, although not perfect, like my first computer build, it works as intended & I haven't had much problems with it being unmounted.

My decision was to put it below the front passenger seat, out of mind and I figured no holes would need to be drilled thanks to the two humps of the frame securing it. I didn't want it in the rear hatch area bc I didn't want i to get in the way for storage & the hidden area I already had a Flatform folding hand truck that took more than enough space. Additionally I couldn't confirm clearance of the hidden space & I don't like the idea of tripping wires if I or someone else needs to use the spare tire.

Fitting problems:

I installed sound deadening to most of my car except the dash area, noico butyl & CCF types, as well as throwing in some Roberts 70-190A underlayment wherever possible (rear wheel well area its great!). The subwoofer might fit if there's no sound padding which takes some room, and if I wanted to, a sharp blade can cut the floor vent for this sub to fit. The problem is that, during cold winters I would run the heater to my feet, and if the vent was still connected, would possibly overheat the sub. I wasn't sure if running cold AC would affect the subwoofer either, but the vent would only cool one small spot while the amp would heat up & that would probably ruin longterm life due to heat/cold differences.

Luckily the floor vent to the rear passenger was a pretty long piece that comes off below the shifter storage area. Although I padded the area pretty well, I stuffed the underlayment into the passenger vent area and taped it too. So far no air goes to the subwoofer and I am not able to notice any wind sounds from that area, the fan is much louder

I wired the subwoofer to match the rear speakers, bc I wasn't sure if I spliced them to the front speakers, it would pull too much power from them. I don't know anything much about energy flow/speaker stuff. Since I havd 600hz bass blockers for the tweeters, there was a change I would of tapped into those wires, nullifying the process. I have tapped the power from the rear 12V battery & used the ground to the floor chassis below the shifter. I had used a screw/nut mount that was available and sanded the surface before grounding. For using the 'power on' signal, I think I tapped it to the armrest USB or cigar plug wire. I can't find the post, so I can't say what color it was (i think its purple but I can be wrong). when i did the wiring for the speakers, I was afraid of tapping to the wrong cable, so I simply tapped to the metra/crutchfield cable adapters from the rear speakers. so I do run a bit of a risk of water getting inside the chassis if the door is left open. For the dial, I have routed it placed below the start/stop ignition, and the wire goes down into the kickpanel and by the armrest tunnel to the sub. You'll notice it when getting in, but while driving it's not an eyesore. What is annoying though is the bright blue power light on the dial. I stashed a parking permit so it doesn't bother my eye when driving at night.

I never mounted the speakers, i wasn't sure if it was going to eventually rattle and didn't want to create any more holes in the carpet than what it has. I have kept the floor vent, so if I sell this & keep the sub, I'll be able to retrofit it for the next customer.

Sound issues:

The sub works great with the head unit. I have the fade to the rear a little bit, bc the front speakers are much more louder due to the speaker placement and seats blocking the sound path to my ears. I'll add 1 to 3 points to low on the stock HU, and then just add more power if needed. I would say I have the dial about 3/4 to full power and the Hz cutoff to 1/3 of max. I haven't had much issues with the sub, when pumped up, I hear a bit of rattle from the front passenger door. I didn't do the greatest job when I removed the door panel on the speaker upgrade, so there might be a quick disconnect plug that is loose/broken that makes some noise, but I really think it's the speaker or metra adapter requiring some tightening. At it's worse, when I have my windows rolled down, I think it wobbles it a bit and I think it made a little nick on my tinted window layer due to the screws I used. I can't really comment on the sub on how great it is, it thumps decently and isn't overbearing. I thought the sub died on me when I was listening to Jlin's Black Origami album, it couldn't handle Hatshepsut at 80% power. I'm not sure how much I have to spend to get "great audio", but having been blessed at working at an eWaste recycling center, my car setup will not be close to those home theater systems... not sure what a 2 channel amp or 4 channel will do if I add one to it.

Front doors - Kenwood KFC-6966S 6x9" 3 way
    Dash - Sound Ordnance P-35B 3-1/2" 2 way
    Rear doors - JVC CS-DR621 6-1/2" 2 way

Attached Files:

Xterra72 and Steph1972 like this.
  2. TPolo

TPolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How has the speakers been holding up?

3. TPolo

TPolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And where did you purchase the subwoofer?