1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Success - Polk DB651s in Factory Enclosure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TJ Minski, Oct 23, 2011.

1. TJ Minski

TJ Minski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hah! It worked. I was complaining awhile back about how the Polks sound when using an adapter plate. I mated decent speakers to the factory speaker housings, and they finally sound better than the factory speakers. This is for the rear door only. I've attached a pictorial how-to. Anyone out there want to mail me their old factory front door speakers for my experimental use? I wouldn't mind coughing up a little cash. I need to find some speakers that will or can be made to fit nicely, and I'm betting it's not going to be as smooth sailing as with the Polks.

cheers, y'all!

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well done. I think I am going to upgrade the door speakers this winter. Really like Polks too.

3. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is pretty sweet. Some simple clear silicon would have adhered the new to the old, as well as sealed it.

Nice job!

4. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great job and great write-up, thanks. I have the JBL system. Does it use normal 8 ohm speakers or do they use the 2 ohm like BOSE cars do?

Never mind, did a search and the JBL system uses 2.5 Ohm speakers.

5. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any progress on the fronts?

Your findings are breathlessly awaited :D

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a pair of speakers for the rear doors en-route. Should be here next week.

7. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Didn't realize the Orcas went that far north this time of year.... :smow:

Polks? DB651s?

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes and Yes. Orcas?

9. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Delivered by Orca? Lame Maine attempt at humor--we're still trying to recover from last week's storm :)

Again, max kudos for your absolutely fabulous write-ups! We are all much obliged!

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah. Thanks. I am hoping to better utilize the OEM adapter when I do mine. We will see.

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, got my speakers today... might just dig in this weekend. :)

12. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, yes--do dig in this weekend :)

When you say, "I am hoping to better utilize the OEM adapter," does this mean you're hoping to not cut off the top ring?

If you can leave the OEM adapter intact, with the DB651s on top, and a layer of foam on top of the DB651s... and have it all not be too thick, that would be great.

It would be interesting to see when the door panel is refitted, does the "door panel grille lip" press into the foam? As TJMinski shows in the 2nd jpeg of his pdf, "Notice the indentation where the door panel grille lip meets up with the foam padding."

Also, vis a vis using duct tape, the technique radioprius1 utilized to install his Rockford-Fosgates may be helpful. Two jpegs, halfway down the page: Click Here

Good luck... and cheers from the other coast!

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, that is what I was hoping for but after taking the panel off last night I don't think that will be possible, but will see.

That is a little more of what I had in mind. At the very least, I will find a way to secure that speaker to the adapter.

Thanks again!

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Been moving alone on the mod with one door done. I got to looking at what I am pretty sure is the Prius headunit wiring diagram and it indicates the wiring is opposite of what TJ mentioned. It shows:
    RR+ (Red)
    RR- (White)
    LR + (Black)
    LR - (Yellow)

I am debating in going into the finished door and fixing. TJ, how did you determine the polarity?

I did try to swap the polarity myself and it seemed the way TJ indicated sounded better. By my head is stuffy and can't really tell.

Can anyone out there verify the polarity? Thanks!

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks fro,
    Just after I wrote that, I searched and found our old threads that had the diagram. So after I finished the right hand side, I went back into the left side and rewired.

All done. Overall, minimal improvement. I was surprised at the amount of bass from the OEMs. But the quality of the sound overall from the Polks is an improvement, they just lack the bass the OEMs did at low levels. The bass is there but less volume. The Polks are great at high volume and real tight plus having a tweet in the rear is nice.

I did go a slightly different route on the adapters so I am going to write up the procedure in a document.

Thanks TJ!

1 person likes this.
  17. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dynamat applied with the Polks? Is it possible that before you were hearing the oil-can-resonant doors, and now you're actually hearing the speakers? Higher fidelity, albeit with less volume?

You're still using the Pioneer AHV-4100DVD head unit? Sufficient RMS per channel?

Needless-to-say, we're looking forward to your write-up :)

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anything is possible, I am just guessing the OEMs where more sensitive and lower wattage. I still have the OEMs up front with the "Dyamat" facsimile and they sound fine... in fact, I will likely leave them in.

Yes, 50/channel RMS... that should mate up well with the Polks, yes?

19. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looked at the Pioneer website and the AVH-P4100DVD_OperationManual, last page, their most conservative rating puts it at 14 RMS per channel.

Regardless, the DB651s are supposed to be very sensitive--Polk lists them at 92db. I would think your P4100 has more than enough power to drive the DB651s.

Tounge-in-cheek word-of-warning, whatever you do, don't go over to diymobileaudio.com/ Not only is that site a serious time sink, it looks like those guys could inflict serious damage on a person's wallet. :)

Again thank you for sharing... me, I've still got my TS-A878 dash units sitting on a bookshelf. :(

20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man, get on those mods dude! :)

Finished the document and attached it to my thread. Please review and send me feedback.

Thanks TJ!

1 person likes this.